lightweight flywheel ?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by V8_TITAN, Nov 30, 2008.

1. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    ok, so I am curious.. Is it worth it or no ??? I heard its not good with turbo but who can prove that ? Im looking into the 9 pound flywheels.. I like my motor the way it is but, just thinking what could give me a little more hp/tq and maybe even some more mpg with my 500cfm 4 barrel lol.. without digging into the entire engine or costing me a fortune...

2. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    the 9lb flywheel will give u quicker revs, will take a good amout of load off the engine, but with u bieng turboed, i would think the 11lb flywheel would do u better, but im not totally sure, i would ask lc engineering on that..but i wouldnt see y the 9lb wouldnt work. Me, im looking to get he 9lb for my 20R/22R setup, just later down the road..

3. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    in all honesty, a 9 would work just fine. you are freeing up load on the motor. definately will increase response.

i had a buddy that did a 11lb and he said that immediately the only thing he noticed was it stalled easier should you let it idle in gear too low. other than that it was all gain. i want to do it to mine soon as well, i will go with the 9lb though. free up as many of those horses as possible and less strain on the motor....... ive lifted those darn things and man thats gotta be a bitch spinning that mass!!!

i know LCE has one for $314 but thats pretty steep..... anyone know of any place cheaper??
    http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebG...UniqueID=01FA1468-A49A-4781-B736-EE1AB1CBD5B2

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  4. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
  5. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Light is good but not that good... Keep in mind you start to loose torque the lighter you go...

6. CajunTaco

CajunTaco Enthusiast

Truck:
    92 Reg Cab
    BYE is right. Flywheel weight all depends on what you are doing. A flywheel is an energy storage device of sorts. The engine builds up momentum in it and then the extra momentum with the engines power is what gets you out the hole and going. With a lighter flywheel you'll have to ride the clutch a little longer to get it going but it will accelerate faster while moving. Drag racing you may want to stay a little heavier and autocrossing you could get away with the lighter one. I don't know how a turbo affects this.

-Ryan

7. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    My Celi has a lightened flywheel, about 14 lb. It revs quicker, but the idle is not quite as smooth as with the stocker. I noticed no difference in starting off, maybe with the 9 lb. it would be more obvious.

8. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I have the LC 9.5lb. one, mated to their racing clutch. Have had no problems!:cool:

9. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    i can only imagina going from the stock ~25lb flywheel and cutting more than half that rotating mass has to make a huge difference!

10. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    isnt stock 27 pounds ? feels like 50... but anyways where can I get an 11 or 14 pounder ? or could I just have mine shaved ?

11. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    LC engineering will have one. You probly could get urs lightened but not sure..

12. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Believe the stock one is 35lbs, @ lest in the 22RE, & the LC one is a aluminum center with a stock outer!
    Don't think you can just cut weight from the stock unit,it would have to be balanced if any cutting/drilling done to it!:cool:

13. HALMS

HALMS Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 reg. cab, 95 reg. cab
    I have a 9 lb on my truck, I personally dont like the lose in torque especially on take off. It does make your truck sound way meaner, but I think the bark is louder than the bite. I would rather have the bite. My 93 is full set up, no internals except the cam. Prior to changing the flywheel I could just release the clutch or pop it & the truck would go or chirp the tires. Now I have to somewhat ride the clutch a little for a smooth take off. When L.C. rates their engines it seems with no load, after you add the drive train, I wonder. Instead of dropping the weight of the flywheel so much. I think you can get more gains with a lower differential ratio, & shaving your flywheel a bit, if you shave it on a brake lathe you should be just fine, Ive had one like that before didnt have no problems. I suggest trying a 9lb just for your experience though. Good luck Sha shoot

14. celica83_gts

celica83_gts Member

Truck:
    '90 Xtra cab 2wd
    I had mine cut at a machine shop. They cut off the bulge on the rear, around the outer edge, and rebalanced it. DO NOT have it done unless you're confident the shop knows what they're doing. Also, I have seen different stock flywheels for the R engines. I believe the Celica flywheel is lighter than the truck unit.

15. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    sounds like theres equal opinions both ways... maybe an 11lb would be a good upgrade but not so drastic of a down side??? ill be saving up for a 9lb. if i dont like it i can go to a 11lb or 12.

16. Nook

Nook Addict

17. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    A 15lb billet steel unit should hold up to your expectations. Alot stronger than the aluminium unit. Your turbo should spool up alot faster too boot...

Save up some cash for tires too, they'll be twice as easy to spin... :D

18. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    other then being mildly annoying in traffic and noisy I think the 9lb is great. The replaceable steel wear pad is cool too.

19. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I pay 60 bucks per tire brand new for my 18s.... 215 35 18.. so If they last me 6 months to a year, It wont hurt my pocket. where can I get that 15 pounder ?

my truck sucks in traffic as is... but Im young and dumb and dont care lol...
    wheres the replaceble steel pad flywheel you speak of ?

20. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
    look at the picture on LCE's website. It attaches with 1 time use aviation bolts that cannot be removed till the flywheel has been used. They sell other flywheels in various weights, but the 9lb is the only one with a wear plate.