Let's see your motor swaps!

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by GrantH, Jul 12, 2010.

1. GrantH

GrantH Addict

I've looked in to 1jzgte and 2jzgte but also sr20 and s2k swaps. I want to do this sometime next year or a little later but wouldn't mind knowing everything that goes into the swaps.

2. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

350 SBC V8 swap as soon as I can get the motor in town...

3. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    2jz single turbo swap :)

4. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Have money and know how. Be creative.

What engine specifically?

For quarter mile? Street tire burner? Cool factor? Budget? FI or carb?

Theres alot to ask. :waytogo:

I got my longblock built on my 302 ford. Should be 280-300 at the crank with a nasty nasty idle and carb sticking thru the hood. Full roller motor, 4.10 gears, 5 speed, and Nitrous. Just been doing a little here, little there over the past few months, REALLY cheap. :lol:

5. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    this thread is lackin in the pics.. lol

lets SEE those motor swaps. i'd post mine but since they don't run it don't count, plus i know grant's already seen em a few times. :D

6. eight7yota

eight7yota Newbie

Truck:
    87 regular cab 4speed
    Has anyone atempted swapping a newer tacoma engine such as a 2TR-FE I think its called. I would like to try this swap in my truck later on next year hopefully I can get this rolling soon if there are any pictures out there or a build thread I would greatly appreciate it, but for now that 22r is stronger than anything :D

7. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    Ok Bernie.....

Im first, yay :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And some hands on pics replacing the front seal and new turbo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Creepy Cruiser

Creepy Cruiser Enthusiast

Truck:
    65 Cadi Hearse
    Here's my KA24DE swap I just got done with in my 510. (sorry it's not a Toyota, lol)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    1JZGTE - Less demand, cheaper, always great potential for 2JZ status and level
    2JZGTE- higher demand, costs more, amazing power, basically like 1JZ, but you still have so much more badass. kinda like the evolution of the 1JZGTE really.
    SR20DET - makes more power than 22RE of course, but definitely will require to rev it to go... it's a 2.0L inline four.... comon. respectable, but you can do better.
    F20/2C - AMAZING motor. Found in NA form, it does make power, but you gotta rev it to go. i mean hey, 9kRPM redline.... I drove my friend's turbo S2k. I hit 130mph... but you really gotta push it. Makes power, but honestly, the price you put in you can get better with something else more torquier.

The thing most don't understand is that teh SR20's and F22C's are found in much lighter cars with much shorter gearing.... mated to 5 or 6spd gearboxes.

Toss them into a heavier chassis and all.
    Of course, our trucks are pretty damn lightweight, which is good, but a lil too heavy for a 2.0 to give a try.

now the inline sixes... will have a good time.

You just need to look for a motor that makes good down low torque and bring it all out. The JZ's do a great job, the UZ's, etc. torque is good for our trucks.

anyway, that's all i can say. i'm wiped out, i shall return to this thread.

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    that's so badass.... i want a datsun 510 or 240z sooo bad.

11. 81SR5Al

81SR5Al Addict

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    That is badass.... I considered doing a 3rz swap into a 240z.... the old Z's and 510s are so easy to do swaps into, tons of room. a 3rz in such a light car would have been pretty fast AND get decent mileage.

Here's the last swap I did:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13.00 @ 105mph in the quarter. Stock '95 302 with a carb swap. After driving that monster I decided a 3rz would be a little more.... practical... LOL!!!!

12. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    I'll get some pictures of my 2rz swap after i make a little more progress. I'll have a write up as well in my build thread.

13. GrantH

GrantH Addict

I've looked into the 1uz-fe a bit more but i'm concerned about the "unseen" things that would be needed. Case in point....the starter and all that stuff. Not so much cost but the ease of working on the motor. Well and yah the price of 4 cams aint cheap!

The 1jz seems like a good swap, but I would like to keep the stock hood if at all possible unless it is a v8. Also, what about the length of the motor, is it not a major concern, being a straight 6 and all...

The one thing I see on these motors is that the exhaust just so happens to be on the opposite side of the motor which will make it a pain to swap for me as my frame is built for driver side exhaust. Nothing that can't be changed...just another thing to deal with.

14. Barret S

Barret S Veteran

Truck:
    86 Standard cab 2wd
    Well true on the 1jz and 2jz the exhaust manifold is on the passenger side, but on the sr20 or any of the rb motor's the exhaust manifold is on the drivers side like the 22r. oh and yea that 2.0 liter sr20 will work pretty well, don't quote me on this but i'm pretty sure tokens sr20 s13 240sx weighs around 2800-2900 lbs. i tried racing him in my integra and he beat me, but then again his head is built and he is running 8 psi, i raced a stock sr20det 240sx and won though.
    s2k motor, yea they are sweet and i like driving my friend johns s2k, but just like mostly all honda small displacement motors, you have to get up to 7k, 8k, 9k rpms to get that power. even though the all aluminum motors are sweet.
    But you know i'm going with the 383 but if i wasn't going sbc, i would probably get the 1uz-fe

15. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    The 2rz stuff is all oposite aswell. I can vouch for sr20's though. I had mine in a s13 with 11lbs of boost on a stock motor and turbo. It almost made it's way into my truck. I still kind of wish it had.

16. jrealmuto1

jrealmuto1 Member

Truck:
    1986 Yota 2wd
    i own a 300zx and im into the nissan heart in a toyota..it is awesome to see it..my altima had the ka in it, and for being a little 4cly it was pretty stout...my Z has the VG in it, i would love to see the VG in a Yota.

17. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    93 Std Cab chassis/4Runner 2door body
  18. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup

Oh yes it is. I have less in whole 1uz powered cars then the cost of just the engine for other swaps people propose i should have done instead.

my 1uz 86 pickup, so far, $1200ish I could have done a 2JZ as many people said i should have done, but at 1200 ide have no truck and still no motor untill i came up with another 1000
    [​IMG]

1uz supra. before i got the eletromotive on it i had a total of $2500ish in the car buying and bulding ive just about heard every "you should have put a ____ motor in it instead" comment under the sun. mostly 2jz, but yet again, i would have No car, and a stock 2jz sitting on the garage floor, if i went there rought. instead i have two years of good times with the car.

[​IMG]

and my 1uz rolla, i dont know what i have in the car, in this current rendition maybe $400 not including the motor.

I dont get a lot of flack about the 1uz in this car it seems but it hasnt seen the world with this setup really.

[​IMG]

as for the starter thing, so what it takes a few hours do do, vs other motors that its easyer on, but you do it what once every 15 years. big deal, atleast its not in the way of a sick set of headers.

19. GrantH

GrantH Addict

i meant aftermarket cams.

20. Jake Breyck

Jake Breyck Member

Truck:
    1uz powered 86 pickup
    oh ya yer right