Ignition Issues

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by bob9801, May 18, 2009.

1. bob9801

bob9801 Newbie

Truck:
    84 pickup
    I have a 78 HiLux I am putting a 77 HiLux motor into. It is a 20r with a webber 32/36 carb on it. the truck ran amazingly well until the tranny went out and this was several hundred dollars cheaper than getting another l43 tranny

The problem is simple, there is no spark. I need to make it get spark. I can't figure out how to do this because the ignition systems are different between the 2 years. I didn't get a 78 distributer with the truck and don't have money to buy one. the wiring is too different to just switch coils between the 2 years.

I did get it started for a minute when I put in an old bug coil that just has a positive and negative to hook up. It ran poorly but it at least started. it hasn't started again since then. and is once again net getting spark.

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    so were going from points to electronic right?

read this
    http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389&highlight=points

now re-reading your post im more then confused.

you can use either the points or electronic dizzy in the motor.

you can easily swap the wires into another plug, theres really only 2 wires.

you CAN NOT mix n match electronic and points stuff. both the coil/ignitor and dizzy must be for the same type.

3. bob9801

bob9801 Newbie

Truck:
    84 pickup
    do you happen to know how I can wire the points coil from the 77 so it will operated in the 78? the 78 was electronic I am assuming because the coil had 2 wires besides the main spark wire to connect to the dist. I haven't pulled the cap off the 77 dist in a while so I don't remember if it is points or not for sure but I am almost 100% sure it is points because it only has a single wire on the side of the dist to connect to the coil.

4. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    wiring diagram from auto zone dot com

77 pickup
    [​IMG]

looks like you need 1 hot wire that turns on with the key to the pos side of coil.

so im gonna assume that the stock wiring is one "hot with key on" wire and one ground wire. but i would double check with a test light in the donor truck, if you still have it.

5. bob9801

bob9801 Newbie

Truck:
    84 pickup
    Hmmmmm. I have already pulled the harness from the donor truck. it is in a box now. but I know that it was a bit more complicated than that. It had a red (spade connector), blue/yellow (ring connector), and a light blue (bottle connector) wires connecting the coil to the harness. then a wire with a second insulator so I couldn't see the color that went from the coil to the side of the dist. in that diagram is it meaning to show a wire grounding the dist or is it supposed to be just grounded by contact with the head?

Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. MikeP

MikeP Newbie

Truck:
    74 HiLux
    Why not just transfer the 78 distributor to the 77 engine? That will be the easiest thing.

But if that distributor is bad, I've got an electric 20R distributor from a 1980 4x4-- I put the engine in my 74 so I don't need the 1980 unit. I think it will work. Do you want it? Pay for shipping and it's yours...

7. bob9801

bob9801 Newbie

Truck:
    84 pickup
    I would really appreciate that. how much would shipping be to 98056? I didn't get the dist from the 78.

8. MikeP

MikeP Newbie

Truck:
    74 HiLux
    PA to WA via Priority Mail is $17.15. Cash or Paypal would be okay...

Want a picture first, to confirm the connector is the same? Green connector housing with two spade terminals inside.

9. bob9801

bob9801 Newbie

Truck:
    84 pickup
    sounds the same. I actually got mine to work today. I would still be interested in your distributer also so I can get the electronics going. I just stared at my 77 and 78 coils side by side then looked at my bug coil, plugged in a couple wires and the truck started first crank.

10. MikeP

MikeP Newbie

Truck:
    74 HiLux
    Cool. Go ahead and PM me and we can work out the details.

11. randyman

randyman Enthusiast

Truck:
    1976 hi lux 2x4
    can i get a pic of your 77???