How to remove the dash in a 73?

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by curbstomp336, Jun 4, 2012.

1. curbstomp336

curbstomp336 Newbie

Truck:
    85 yota
    Never really took one out of a hilux, i want to sand it down and paint it but want to know how to do it right when i do it. Also the "foam" on the dash is all cracked any ways of fixing it?

2. 74Hiluxproject

74Hiluxproject Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 Toyota Supra Truck
    Hey man, so i just ran out and took some pics, i beleive with the dash, this is about as far as you can go.

[​IMG]

And this is a upword shot from the floor, the back of it just seems to be one peice the forms into the firewall

[​IMG]

So you may just tear it down to this point, and do a good tape job and sand paint where its at, as for getting it all the way out.. i dont think its going anywhere, but im also no expert on this truck mine is a 74 so i beleive its the same.

3. 74Hiluxproject

Truck:
    1974 Toyota Supra Truck
    As for the foam peice across the top, take it off and you could always spray foam it or something, sand it down, and re-wrap with a peice of material, mine has a few cracks, i have it out and i plan on spray foaming just the cracks, sanding it down flush, then wrapping in a peice of suede :)

4. curbstomp336

curbstomp336 Newbie

Truck:
    85 yota
    Ok thanks guys!!! Im gonna tackle this soon :) Thanks for the help again!!

5. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    Same with my Hilux. My dash was broken and the top side is split in a few places. I fixed the radio dash piece with some mercaptane epoxy and sanded it down, then painted it black.

The soft dash top I am debating how to proceed. I know I will use foam to fill the large cracks, then silicone to finish it back to the surface-but from there I have some ideas. One is to use vinyl repair and then vinyl paint, which should look pretty much like the original. Or cover the whole thing with a vinyl fabric, but then I wonder about fitment. Finally I have thought about using body filler and painting over that, but then I wonder about the final appearance. It's a shame we can't just buy a NOS dash that looks just like the original. I will post pics when I decide which route to go.

6. MercuryMan

MercuryMan Member

Truck:
    1974 Hilux
    BTW great pics 74Hiluxproject!! I like the lamp in the truck! Where are all your wires, etc??

7. curbstomp336

curbstomp336 Newbie

Truck:
    85 yota
    Sounds good :) Gave me some ideas also MercuryMan!

8. 74Hiluxproject

Truck:
    1974 Toyota Supra Truck
    lol the wiring harness was shot from the engine bay fire, so i just yanked them all out, yea the lamp was my hillbilly work light, i was so excited the first few days to start cleaning it up, i needed light because i was getting off after dark haha