how low can u go?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by nboost, Dec 21, 2007.

1. nboost

nboost Member

I got drop leafs with a 1" block in the rear and spindles with a few turns of the torsion bars and want to go lower without bagging. Im planning on notching the frame and am wondering how low you can go before having to get lower control arms in the front?...if they even make them...im going to put a bigger block in the rear so thats easy but the front is my concern. dont want the lower control arm to hit the frame. i got toxic drop shocks for the front but they only have a few inches left of travel where my truck sits so i guess id have to get a custom shock built or something?

2. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    From what I have read, you can go down to 3" with cranked torsions by cutting/trimming the bumpstops, some people also do a balljoint flip for an additional 1". Mind you this ride will probably ride rough as sh-t, but it will have drop, also, keep in mind that the toe will B f'D up, Im sure youve seen all the rides that have this. Alot of people I see use aftermarket arms, like the ones used for bagging and/or a combination of drop spindle and torsion. I guess it totally depends on how you want it to ride and how much time you spend in your ride. A - arms are widely available, but, the best thing to do is to check out other peoples rides and/or chat with them to see how their suspension project worked for them before taking part in yours. Good Luck !

3. nboost

nboost Member

thanks for the reply. yeah i did a little searchin on the web and saw djm made some arms that give a 3" drop. that will give me 5" total drop with my spindles. like most of us, i feel that ride quality is everything....guess ill be putting this on the ol' wish list..lol

4. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    i was told that you can not use drop spindals and lower arms at the same time. So did djm lie to me?

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    No, they didn't lie to you. If you are going to keep the inner fenders intact, you can't do both. 3" is about all you can drop it in the front without rubbing.

Now, if you plan to cut the inner fenders out, you can go further. Most people don't, so DJM doesn't take the time to explain it to everyone who asks.

6. nboost

nboost Member

yeah ive already cut the inners out and am doing some trailer fenders. Hey LITNEON, what size welder did you use for your c-notches? I only have the usual houshold welder 115v i think. would you recommend a 220v welder or would mine fly? dont know how thick the chassis are on these trucks...

7. skip

skip Enthusiast

Truck:
    1992 std cab, 1986 std cab
    Its always better to use a 220v welder but as long as you have your 115v cranked all the way up and go nice and slow you should be ok

8. nboost

nboost Member

Thanks for the reply skip. im thinkin i should play it safe and just use the bigger welder. i think i might have access to one!