How hard is it to change my timing cover

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by abcfisher1@, Aug 16, 2014.

1. abcfisher1@

abcfisher1@ Newbie

I broke TWO bolts while replacing my water pump. Ive had no luck trying to extract them from the cover. I'm thinking about just replacing the cover instead but I'm not quite sure how to go about it. Any help is appreciated. Instructions would be great.
    Henry

2. gixonemil

gixonemil Member

Its easy but its just a lot of work.. especially when you got a 9-5 job. Read a lot of forums dealing with timing chain replacement. Take pictures and mark the hoses and you should be fine.

3. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Make sure you spray (soak) everything down with a good penetrant spray like PB Blaster or some other type a day or two before starting. This will help tremendously with not breaking bolts. If you use PB Blaster, just don't store it in the interior of the truck. I had a can malfunction on me and leak onto the carpet of my Explorer while installing the body lift. The chemical smell was so bad and would NOT wash off, even after removing it and taking it to the car wash. I ended up having to replace the carpet. It works great for loosening rusted, stuck bolts. Just not good on interiors.

4. 78_LongBed

78_LongBed Newbie

Truck:
    78 SR5 Long Bed
    i ran without 2 or 3 water pump bolts on my 4runner and never had a problem. id try it with a paper gasket and some rtv before tearin into the timing cover. thats a time consuming job

5. abcfisher1@

abcfisher1@ Newbie

Well I changed the timing cover. It was VERY time consuming but I learned a lot about my 22R. I removed the oil pan but not the head. Replaced water pump, timing cover, front seal, oil pan gasket, steering idler arm, steering center link, inner and outer tie rods and sleeves, belts, pulleys, radiator, hoses. Funny how this all started with me deciding to fix the front seal oil leak myself. LOL

6. SloPoke

SloPoke Member

Truck:
    93 standard cab dx
    Glad you got it done. It's pretty easy and straight forward, just time consuming and back breaking, on a 2wd where you're half bent over the entire time. ;)
    If you don't mind me asking....Where's you get & How much were the steering idler arm, steering center link, inner and outer tie rods and sleeves?
    P/N's on the receipt perhaps?

7. abcfisher1@

abcfisher1@ Newbie

I got everything from my local advanced auto parts. Not sure on prices but I ordered online and picked it up from the store using the 20% off code P20. Check them out if you have one in your area. The web site will have the prices.
    Good luck:waytogo: