hopefully just a headgasket! need opinions

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by ryans88yota, Jun 18, 2013.

1. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    Im getting a lot of pressure in my cooling system. Obviously head issue. But does it have to be cracked. No oil in coolant no coolant is oil. 180k 22r 1988 never over heated

2. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Sometimes the HG will blow between bores or from the bore to the water jacket. It won't always be cracked or mixing fluids.

3. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Exactly what happened to me. It would push coolant out the reservoir. Gases were entering cooling system.

4. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    GREAT was it just a HG or did u have more damage? My machinist buddy said HG are all to common but erroded coolant jackets and cracks arnt rare either

5. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Yea the head can corrode and also crack .. But head gaskets are more common so I'd go for just the gasket for now give the head a good look over after you clean it up .. See if you spot anything Defiantly have it checked for
    Warpage just to be safe

6. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    Some machine shops can pressure check your head for cracks and such. I know my machinist will and its like $30 or something close to that.

7. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I had the gasket on the egr plate on the back of the head go bad and it did the same thing and pressurized the cooling system.

8. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    Absolutely will do. My old roommate is actually my machinist. Hes ordered the parts for me minus engbldr steel guide chain set. And hes rebuilding my head for me for 125 with seals guides valve grind pressure check amd mill. So he will spot bad spots or cracks. And weve got a rebuilt complete 22r head ready incase mines done for but its 250. So hoping shes all well!

THe 22r may be a different animal than what im used to but I was sure these systems arnt related

9. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater

They are related on that burst panel on the back of the head. ;)

If you have a functional egr system and that gasket goes bad it will pressurize the cooling system with exhaust gas. I've had some odd issues in the past this being one of them.

10. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    VEry very interesting well im gonna get very familiar to what ur saying tomorrow when I tear this puppy down.

So far I've got.
    Headgasket set (felpro) -heard it did the job for aftermarket
    Arp head bolts.
    Ordering timing chain kit with steel guides from englbldr.
    Waterpump and hoses x3
    TIming chain cover gasket and cover is on standby for inspection. Its available if I need it.

What am im forgettinf guys? Anything common durinf this procedure. My wife works for the school dist. So moneys tight right now. Im I'm tearing through or summer fun money.

11. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Looks like you got everything .
    I always clean out my head bolt holes with either a chase or if you don't have that a box of q-tips .. To get any gunk out ...to also wipe my block and head surface down with denatured alcohols or any evaporative cleanser like carb or brake cleaner to get a super clean mating surface other than that slow and steady wins the race

12. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    Well bad news. Coolant jacket eroded to far to the fire ring so new head tomorrow!
    As for today I got it all apart. I had already ditched my air pump and such so now that crazy thing under the intake can go! And tube cut and welded for now in the exhaust mani. [​IMG]

Tomorrow is clean all surfaces day until noon when my head studs (yes studs im converting it, im partial to studs over bolts. And there arp so no strength concern) and head get here. I should be on the road by Friday

THIS is my head after removing. Bet ya cant guess what cylinders had the issue!!! Haha
    [​IMG]

EDIT.. tomorrow morning I am taking oil pan off till its all done because despite my efforts I dropped a truck load of crap in there.. coolant my 10mm socket gasket material ect.

13. Xs5875

Xs5875 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Standard cab 22re 5 spd
    Yeah that's always a pain. Be prepared to drop the crossmember. I also had to loosen motor mounts and jack engine up to get pan to clear the pickup.

14. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    Yea defiantly extra pain. I did so good getting this far all on the ground. Its parked in a lift bay so at least I get the option to lift it.

15. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Sounds like you have it under control pretty well. Good idea with the studs. Deff chase the block threads. And the front cover dive bolt under the cam gear. That one is important for sealing the oil in. Mine leaks because I forgot to chase that hole. I've learned alot about these motors building a few. You should be able to get the pan out pretty easy. I dropped mine with the crossmember in on the 78. Might not need to take it out if you just need to clean around. Remove the motor mount nut/bolts and jack the engine up a bit and you should have arm access. Good luck buddy.

16. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    AWsome thanks. Yea my prior internal engine experience being honda and light work at that this is a learning experience. I mean i do chains and HG on customers cars frequently but being my own car im really trying to cover all my bases. And learn. Quite a simple motor. If my head didnt blow this timing chain alone is a breeeze! Which update. I did get a new t chain cover new water pump bolts studs and nuts and ive got to clean everything drop the pan and shes going together! With the way everything's gone she should be done tonight given were not busy and I get to work on it

17. Madness

Madness Enthusiast

Arp studs... Studs go into the block hand tight then torque the nuts with the arp assembly lube in sequence in 3 stages, 30, 60, 90.

Such good advice in here. Thought I would try to contribute....

18. ryans88yota

ryans88yota Enthusiast

Truck:
    88 2wd base reg cab.
    Appreciate it much!
    Well its done.... ish
    HEad and chain on[​IMG]
    THIS is all assembled 90% at least missing odds and ends
    [​IMG]

Then on start up on saturday broke the cam in. With zinc additive. Valve train was Crazy noisy. Kept adjusting kept veing tooo noisy. Thats when I learned if u over tighten the valve cover it pulls up on the rockers making them sloppy. So I've driven it about 100 miles and there startin to nosiy up as every thing settles. Then ill adjust em again in another 100 or so .
    Also for those who wonder valve lash is intake .008 and exhaust .012. And needs to be done quickly when HOT!
    so after heatinf up let it idle while u take everything off except valve cover nuts. Then shut it I down and bust it out with a quickness.
    And one shot of them beautiful studs :)
    [​IMG]

And as luck has it on my way home my slave cylinder completely blew out that was a fun starter take off power shifting 35 min drive home haha

19. hoopdancer911

hoopdancer911 Newbie

Truck:
    1987 toyota hilux 2wd
    oil leak

i have a question for my 1987 toyota truck 110k miles bought it when it had 65k on it but i have oil leak severe leak from back of engine i changed the rear main seal and also the valve cover gasket but still leaking oil any recommendations or guides to where it might be coming from