Hid??

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by dailydragger, Feb 21, 2009.

1. dailydragger

dailydragger Enthusiast

I would like to put a HID kit in my 79. but i dont know much about HID's what bulb style would i need?

2. the_general626

the_general626 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    90 Toyota Pickup 2wd standard cab
    there are like 5 diff types of bulbs u can get, depending on which color u prefer. 8000k is a pure white colored bulb that is bright as hell but theres other colors such as blue, and yellow and two other colors

3. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    if you find a good set can u send me the info, i would like to upgrade my 79 as well.

4. dailydragger

dailydragger Enthusiast

5. dailydragger

dailydragger Enthusiast

6. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i think the halos look cool as hell. i noticed on the cheap ones the shipping is expensive. and you can find the same product for more money and less shipping.

7. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    wrong, 8000k is blue. 6000k is white

42 or 4300k is yellow 6000k pure white 8000k blue 10000k light purple 12000k is pure purple

the halos suck, i have them on my truck. one came cracked and both of the metal things inside fell off also the halos themselves are dim as sht

as for HID KITS search ebay seller "smart4cars" he is theee best hid reseller out there. also the cheapest... never had a problem with his kits, and Ive ordered over 10 of them

8. the_general626

the_general626 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    90 Toyota Pickup 2wd standard cab
    how much?

9. Racersk

Racersk Member

Been running my HID's for a bit over a year now... H4 in crystal plastic housings now, but I liked my other glass metal housing lights better, better cut off and they were METAL! AutoPal was the mfr, but Hella conversion headlights will be similar. These glass lenses better difuse the light so your not blinding oncoming traffic with the cheapo EBAY plastics, but hey, I'm broke most of the time and that's what I had to get when my others got blasted with a rock!

Most kits are the same, either analog or digital, the analog ones suck, but they are cheap...They have the big housing that really should be in a waterPROOF container, our trucks underhood area gets alot of moisture, unlike most new imports that are all but sealed. The newer digital ballasts are smaller, have a lessharsh turn on(less flicker) and are only about $10-15 more than the analogs.

I run 5000K headlights (Pure white, like a Piaa superwhite in halogen) and 3400K H3's in aftermarket glass/metal driving lights in the factory blinker locations, I need to upgrade these, as the are illegal, they don't directly block light from oncoming traffic (like any 'offroad' kits) I saw a set that takes an H9 like factory setups do, but they wanted like $150 for the set (Hella).

H4's come in 2 flavors right now, one set has a Halogen bulb for the high beam, this is for flashing drivers, etc, it is less bright than the low beams! The other type has a cover over the bulb and the high beam energizes a solenoid that moves that shield back and forth to cover the bulb for low, or unshield it for high. This is cool, but my big cam after about 6 months loosened the fit of the solenoid to where it started to vibrate and shake while driving, etc.. I went to the halogen style this time, but it seems that it acts mor like a high beam all the time, I have to point it down now...

Shawn K

10. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    wrong..6000k is blueish, pure white is 4300K-5000K

DO NOT BUY A BI XENON KIT WITH THE HALOGEN BULB FOR HIGH THEY ARE PEICES OF $HIT!!

If you wanna do it right do a real retro using real HID projectors! Ebay ballasts are just fine,I have about 5 different kits, no problems with any,but I switch my bulbs to OEM Phillips D2S bulbs,If you go that route you need an AMP adapter..check this thread for more info..and if you wanna do it right and have something really unique do a real retrofit!!

http://www.toyotaminis.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3122&page=2

11. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    ^^ Yup. my headlights are bright.. my corners is that same.. bulb color.. yuck

12. six7one_KDR

six7one_KDR Veteran

From Thee Island of GUAM,Live's in WASHINGTON / NO
    Truck:
    1976,1979,and also YES a 1973 HILUX
    I HAVE A SET UP FRONT OF MY 79,AND THERE HELLA 7" ROUND'S WITH XENON 6000K'S ON THEM.THERE ARE SUM OTHER COMPS THAT MAKE PLASTIK ONES TO?.BUT I THINK YOU SHOULD GET THE ONES THAT ARE GLASS HOUSINGS.THERE BRIGHTER THEN THE PLASTIK ONES OUT THERE.:eyecrazy:

Attached Files:

• 020.JPG
      020.JPG
      File size:
      135.5 KB
      Views:
  13. josealex1636

josealex1636 Veteran

Truck:
    83 Toyota Pickup
    I have 8k on my truck I have an aftermarket headlight housing whatever its called the whole light with black inside

Attached Files:

14. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup
    6024 Hummer HID headlights

This is always a mod that gets done to every vehicle I own and before I joined the forum I was researching this.

The link above is a 6024 housing which has been retrofitted with a bi-xenon HID system. This means you have a perfect cut off line as well as Hi/Lo beam.

These believe it or not are actually cheap.

15. Henlenrose

Henlenrose Newbie

I would like to put a HID kit in my 79. but i dont know much about HID's what bulb style would i need?

16. silkeepjs

silkeepjs Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Single cab (Sold), 81 SR5

$799.00 isn't very cheap =/

17. xopher8713

xopher8713 Member

Truck:
    1979 Toyota Pickup