HELP!! Headlamp got me dim...

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by SLoW670, May 21, 2014.

1. SLoW670

SLoW670 Member

Truck:
    1990 22R
    Alright fellas, I need your help. The left side headlight is brighter than the other. it was that way when I bought it, just didn't realize at the moment. I have replaced the bulbs, the headlamp assys and checked the fuses and still no change. WTH!!! :brickknock: My next step is to check the wiring harness and replace them but i just wanted to throw this out there first in case any of ya'll have experienced this. Goin :runaway::looney: here

2. raylcc

raylcc Addict

Truck:
    89 Regular Cab. The weirdo with the stock suspension.
    Check the ground of the headlight that is dim. A lot of times if the ground is bad it will make a bad, but not incomplete connection and cause a dim light. Its probably ground through the housing. Not sure how theyre set up. It also could be a bad power wire. corroded enough to restrict current flow. try cleaning the contacts and make sure they are tight. The old Ford pickups had a problem with dim headlights, If I remember correctly and many solved it by running a relay and larger wire to get full battery power to the lights when the switch was pulled, kind of bypassing the harness.

3. davidg1228

davidg1228 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Long Bed 5sp
    SloW670, did you ever figure out what was wrong with your dim headlight. I am having the same problem. Where is the ground located?

-David

4. sanddamaged

sanddamaged Member

How much brighter is it? I've noticed on some newer vehicles that does the same thing but its not a "big" difference.