Flutter noise in MAF sensor.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Scomber, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

My truck was sitting for about three years. I started it a few times two years ago, just after I bought it, but the project sat for a while. I never had it really running properly down the road to work the bugs out.

Now Russell is on the road. The frame is repaired, and my old truck's W56 (and a lot of other parts) are installed in it. I've changed the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, thoroughly cleaned the cat, and put in a 2" muffler and pipe from the cat back. I've put half a can of sea foam through the tank in 4 gallons of gas. That all helped, but there's still a little something not right. There's some hesitations under load.

I noticed a fluttering noise from my MAF sensor while I had the hood open and worked the throttle rocker a little. Is that normal? Anyone know? I'm thinking of swapping in the MAF sensor from my '86 to see if that helps.

2. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Hmmmm that MAF meter has got an idle control air flap that's been prone Togo bad.....
    try swapping it as those things are around 700+ from the dealer...

3. unclejesse

unclejesse Newbie

you are probably hearing the air injection opeing and closing. That small hose coming off the air cleaner goes to the pulse air injection reed valve. When you close the throttle, the pulse air injection momentarily comes on and allows the exhaust to suck some air in so the catalytic converter doesn't go rich. Since it is using the pulses of exhaust to suck the air in, it has a fluttering type noise.