First Turf Truck build since 1987

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Wut Bump, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Wut Bump

Wut Bump Newbie

It's been almost 30 years to the month that I built a lowered mini truck. We called them Turf Trucks back then. In February 1987, I found a '75 Bullet Side Datsun for $650, lowered it ~ 3", put some Outlaw IIs on it, and later that year, I cut the roof off using a cheap hardtop convertible kit. Even autocrossed it a couple times.
    SCAN0138.JPG
    Sold it after my first semester at Colorado State University to buy a Chevy Luv 4x4.

Anyway, I've owned Toyota mini trucks since 1984, all have been lifted 4x4's or Prerunnered 2WDs. A couple years ago, I was looking for a clean '89 to '95 2WD to use as a commuter. I found one on Craigslist, a 1990 base model, that had been listed 30 minutes before I found the add. It had a generic photo that the seller had found on the net.
    LoSno_CLphoto.jpg
    I called and asked about it, and the lady said it was white w/gray interior. Picked it up for a grand, and started cleaning. It hadn't been washed or waxed in over a decade, but it turns out the paint looked good after removing all the oxidation. I was going to build a mild prerunner, had some custom aluminum rings added to some Ford Ranger rims, did a chrome conversion on the front, added a shell, and drove it like this for about a year.
    LoSno_FlyNWide.jpg

Back when I had the Datsun, I wanted to put Porsche alloys on it. A buddy of mine put some Fuchs on his VW Squareback recently, and when I saw it, I knew I had to put some Fuchs on a mini truck. I ordered a Belltech spindle/block kit, chrome Fuchs, custom wheel adapters, and installed everything this weekend. Turned out bettered than I had hoped. I know the 'stanced' look is in, but I prefer to keep my fenders stock and stock camber specs, without the waves/split paint and weird tire wear that comes with that look.
    LoSno_finished_1.JPG LoSno_finished_3.JPG

jetas likes this.
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Nice truck. Welcome to TM

3. Wut Bump

Wut Bump Newbie

Thanks! Here are a couple other Toyotas I have. This one has been in a bunch of magazines, had it for 28 years now.
    FlyNWide.jpg

And my '89 Extracab Deluxe model, now has 685,000 miles on it. I've posted this photo before at other sites, still one of my favorites.

RedToy33s_and_spindles.jpg

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dude that white one looks bad ass