Engine swap?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by dailydriven, Jun 30, 2010.

1. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    isn't the 5m a straight six?

i would expect radiator core support mods, or firewall mods to fit the 6 cylinder.

going american will be the cheapest... but i say go 1uz.. 256h.p. 260 ft.lbs. torque.

and they look plain sexy in a pickup!!! :D

2. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    5M is the predecessor of the 7M series, so straight-6

It is slightly shorter than the 1JZ/2JZ

1UZ at best, allaluminum, overengineered, dohc, 32v, 4bolt mains.

go with either the R154 or some T56 6-spd. do some research and you can find an adaptor and trans for cheap.

you cant ever go wrong with UZ manuals because they don't exist. rare as a gem, beautiful and worthy of screaming for

3. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Info on 5m...

Output ranged from 145 to 175 hp (108 and 130 kW respectively), depending on exhaust system, emissions controls, compression ratio, intake runner shape (earlier models had round intake runners and later models had D-shaped intake runners), and ECU tuning.

Personally, its output isnt worth the swap even when they bolt it.

It was the original reason why I put a w58 in my truck years ago. I did have a 5m motor and was going to put it in, but I changed my mind and went hybrid.

My 1/8th mile times figure out to 100 hp at the wheels. So 130 ish crank would be safe questimate. A 145 hp 5m that is 150 lbs heavier than a 22r wouldnt float my boat. Just not enough displacement increase.

But on a side note----I think the valve covers (polished) with the cam sprockets exposed are sexxy.

4. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    5M weighs about 20 lbs heavier than a 22RE. So after a bunch stuff like power steering, emissions, exhaust manifold to header, and extra crap is taken off...weight should be about the same. give or take a few lbs. a turbo 7M is about 100-130 lbs heavier though from all the turbo parts. And yeah, you could look at it as a stock 5M vs a mild hybrid, but if you do some of those same mods to a 5M it will make more. Its not the biggest powerhouse swap available, but its also not one of the toughest.

Ive seen them swapped into plenty of stuff, and they all seem to fit. Even my tiny little 78 hilux has enough space under the hood to make it fit. No core support or firewall mods seem to be needed.

And I wouldn't call making a 1UZ a manual easy or cheap. It can be done, but expect it to be a bit tougher to do than the internet says it would be.

Sounds like you've got a lot of options here. Time to research them all, and figure out which one fits your needs, budget, ability and style the best.

5. 81SR5Al

81SR5Al Addict

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    Had a 5M in my old '81 Supra. Not a bad engine, got about 22 or so MPG, pulled decent. Always ran good. Now the auto trans... that blew. And by blew I mean it sucked, but also it lost 1st / reverse after a while. It had 100k and it would have cost twice as much as it was worth to fix!!! Almost swapped a 5-speed in it, but my wife slapped some sense into me.

I wouldn't mind having one of those in my truck, they had some good torque. Did they even make a carb'd version?

6. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    so it looks like the general consensus is a 1uz.... i can roll a auto for now til i can afford to "make" it a manual ... where can i get mounts for the trans and engine.... and where cna i find more information and doing the actual swap of the motor.... i had a gs400 come into the shop today and i was droooling over the motor...

7. Racersk

Racersk Member

You don't buy the mount, you make them! Actually most use some sort of round mount(think hockey puck) and fab up the 2 mounts. Then you make the auto trans mount, If you stay W5X series, I think the stock trans mount works. But yeah, it'll give out shortly after the rear end fails. :shrug:

1UZFE.com or google 1uz swap. Lots of Aussi's do it to their Hilux's

If all your after is 200-250, then swap in or make a 22RTE, it'll put out at least 200 crank at 6 PSI more with an intercooler, forged pistons, head work and bigger turbos, but drivability will start to suffer much past 250.

8. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    1UZ+bellhousing adaptor+R154= a good swap that won't break.
    a W58 will break faster than the R154 ever will.

Do what RacerSk with the 1UZFE.com. Aussies have been all over with this swap for the past.... what, 10 years? hahahaha