Engine swap?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by dailydriven, Jun 30, 2010.

1. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    Im looking for a fairly high powered engine to swap into my truck thats no for the rich only lol. just want to know what you guys have swapped into your 76-83 yotas to pump out some ponies:waytogo: pictures or links to build threads would be great

2. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Im gathering parts to do a 302 swap.

74 302 .030 over
    Gt40 Iron heads
    X303 cam
    T5
    Fox body sump
    Performer rpm w a 600 4 bbl.
    FRPP roller rockers
    5.0 T-bird front accesories

Northwest off roads got the mounts, 200 bucks, but they could be easy to make. Ill get it done before christmas...

3. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    I'm halfway through a 2rz swap right now. It's a real pain but should be sick when i'm done.

4. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    i wanted to do one as well when my engine went..but i didn't have time..needed my wheels back..can't wait to see yours when its done..i hope your documenting it real good for the rest of us:D

5. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    the most h.p. for your buck will come from a chevy or ford small block.

6. 81SR5Al

81SR5Al Addict

Truck:
    1980 SR5
    I've thought about a 4.3 swap... lighter and basically a cut down 350. It uses the same swap parts as the Chevy small block.

7. Phssthpok

Phssthpok Member

Truck:
    77 longbed, 81 4x4, 84 X-tra cab

NEG.

Mopar small blocks are cheaper per hp and ft/lb-tq than either ford or chevy and are nigh on bullet proof....they're just not as popular for some strange reason so nobody makes conversion/adapter bits for that platform.:brickknock:

8. Predracer

Predracer Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Long bed 80 2rz turbo machine
    Oh I am, maybe I should update my thread a little lol

9. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2609944

Its looks horrid with the dozer tires, 2bbl smogger motor and an automatic.... But besides that, look how well it fits in there!

-I never built a chrysler engine, and dont have much experiance in em. But if they were cheap, powerful and held together, they would be more popular-

Just sayin.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  10. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    Fast, Cheap, and Reliable....

You can only pick two and thats what you'll have.

Fast + Cheap = wont be reliable
    Fast + Reliable = wont be cheap
    Cheap + Reliable = wont be fast

and so on and so forth

out of the dozens of swaps ive done. I have never done one that was cheap. start saving because the little stuff adds up fast.

11. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    Well it doesn't necessarily need to be reliable lol because I will be able to fix s*** on the side of the road lol more or less what I'm looking for is fast and cheap and doesn't take a crapload of custom fab

12. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux

he asked for cheap and powerful. it don't get much cheaper than a chevy. but i myself prefer ford.

13. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    so what do you guys think it would cost to swap a sbc into my 79?? say i already have an engine

14. gstanfielD

gstanfielD Newbie

My '91 sonoma SBC swap cost me about $1,500 total including the engine build (already had an engine, jsut rebuilt it) and the swap mounts, headers, exhaust kit, radiator, shifter, etc, etc. I probably spent about $800 of that in the engine itself and the rest in getting it in there. With some fabrication time I could have saved a little, but not really that much as most things were pretty cheap as it was a common swap. The radiator was pretty pricey, but required as a V-8 in a tiny engine compartment loves to overheat. In fact overheating is probably the #1 issue people have with these type swaps, everything else can be worked around easily enough, but there is just nowhere for the air to flow when the hole is full of engine. On the Sonoma it was a cheap and easy fix to leave out the inner fenders, this dropped my typical summer engine temp by about 15 degrees with doing nothing else.

Although, I must say I have been considering a swap on my '83, but it's not a SBC. The local junk yard has a Lexus V-8 and 6 speed auto that I've been thinking of taking the engine/trans and doing a swap into this old toy. Right now money is the only thing stopping me:(

15. Racersk

Racersk Member

My vote is the 302 Ford, due to the fact the distributor is located up front and mounts are obtainable.

Cool factor and cost vs potential, I would like to see a Lexus 1UZFE swapped into an early truck, talk about a sleeper, stupid quiet at idle and nothing but tire smoke and tail lights after a hard launch! The hardest thing is to either give in to an automatic using the entire Lexus harness etc or adapting a W58 to it somehow.

16. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    i was kind of leaning towards the sbf because of the distributor... but how long will a stock toyota tranny last behind a sbf? is there a stronger toyota trans to put behind it or would it be easier just to out a ford 5 speed behind it

17. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD

I would just run a ford t5. Then you wouldnt have to buy the northwest offroad bellhousing kit. $$$

Personally, I wouldnt ask a w58 to live behind a v8. R15(x) trans maybe if I had too.

Garbage heads, intake, and cam (all stock) on my old 86 Mustang made over 300 lb ft. of torque. Not even 200 HP thru an automatic.

Now if you do build it and cant cough up the money for a v8 5 speed, a 4cyl trans is way more common and cheep.

My 86 I swapped a t5 (4cyl "world class") trans out of a turbocoupe thunderbird. Cost me 100 bucks. They are much cheaper than typical fox body v8 transmissions. There were only two issues.

A pilot bearing out of a diesel ford ranger, (like 84 ish)...
    And I was forbidden to use slicks under penalty of walking home. :lol:

And it had a deeeeeep first gear. 4:1 IIRC. I loved it.

18. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    I would really love to keep a 5 speed or even a 4 speed trans I just want a manual and the motor doesn't need to put down a ton of hp just more than the 85 that I've got now lol(seems that way anyways)

19. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    Well how much power are you trying to get out of it? A 5M is a simple swap due to the simple wiring, and can use the 5M supra mounts. If you already have efi, most of the battle is done. Just swap pumps and fuel system is good. SMF is another common option, since they are not just front dizzy, but a very narrow motor. Dodge motors are good, but not many options for non dodge trans. Unless you ran late model trannies which can be a bit spendy. A 1uz in basically stock form, with a couple bolt ons, would be another good option. Weighs about the same as a non turbo M series swap, but isn't as long and makes more power than a stock M series turbo. If you got a bellhousing ordered/built to use a trans, make it the R150/R154 out of the V6 trucks and turbo supras.

Or if you just want more power, do some mods to the 22r

20. dailydriven

dailydriven Enthusiast

Truck:
    79 std cab
    i want to have around 200 to 250 hp for now.... possibly build it up more as i build the truck... i am also looking for around the cheapest option right now... the 5m supra motor just drops in ??? do i use the supra trans too or what? my truck isnt a efi but it does have and electric fuel pump... i do have the capabilities of doing minor fabbing if need be.... how much to 5m's usually run for?