Engine Runs Worse the Hotter It Gets

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by OxTheBlueBabe, Jun 1, 2014.

1. OxTheBlueBabe

OxTheBlueBabe Newbie

Truck:
    1984 2wd Longbed
    So my engine fires fine, summer or winter, its first start of the day. But if I drive it for a while, and especially when I shut the engine off and restart it, it will run extremely rough at idle and die. Now that summer has begun here in Tucson, it has gotten to the point that it dies as I'm exiting the freeway, soon after I take my foot off the gas pedal.

My first theory was a dirty fuel filter, but that doesn't seem like it should be affected by the temperature so much. Another site suggested a leaner fuel mixture for summer. Yet another said the coil could be going bad, and the fact that it runs worse the hotter it gets would coincide with that theory.

Any other experiences or observations?

2. LilRed93

LilRed93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Pickup
    Dude a fuel filter is cheap and easy. Think simple. I highly doubt that it's the fuel mixture. So giver the filter a change and go from there. That could be the problem, cuz it could be a little plugged. Then think of other simple things.......:waytogo:

3. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    If its carbureted, you could have leaky AAP valve on the side of the carb, a vacuum leak, egr not closing, anti-diesel solenoid twacking out, just to name a few carb quirks ...

4. 93TILinfinity

93TILinfinity Veteran

Truck:
    1993 Toyota pickup 2wd 4cyl 5speed cab and a half standard bed
    I'm having a similar issue. My truck stals out on the freeway going about 60mph. I'm fuel injected. What other things can it be besides the fuel filter?