Engine Rebuild options

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by oahu grown, Aug 31, 2010.

1. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Got a question. If my timing chain is making noise, would that cause a oil leak? I got a major leak. Part is coming from the area right under the intake, where all those lines go. Its not oil cause im not losing oil. Im not blowing smoke. Its not brake or power steering fluid. There all topped off. But that area right under the intake is always oily and looks wet/fresh. Anyone knows whats there and what could be the cause of that leak? Any advice is appreciated. Will take some pics later and post them up. Kinda raining right now.

2. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    damn hawaii prices are stupid.. but I can buy 5 or 6 of them and ship them to you in us postal flat rate boxes

3. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    holy crap dude, contact Ted at Engnbldr if you need anything, much cheaper. i did my whole timing chain under $100 i think, it was near $80 if anything.

yeah Javi, have him sell them for like $10, make profit?

4. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Ok running into some problems.

1. I cannot get this hub off. The one the radiator fan attaches to. In the manual it says to unbolt it and it will pull right off. Mines not coming off. Do i just hammer it? Hammer it some more?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. How do i loosen the belt for these pullies. I thought you loosen the bolt on the left and it should slid letting the belt go, but mines not sliding or anything. If not anyone know the name of these parts so i can look it up in the manual?

[​IMG]

And then how do i reach the bolt in the back of the pulley. Do i need to take off the pulley to reach the bolt?

[​IMG]

5. flacostaco

flacostaco Toyotaholic

Truck:
    87 pickup
    stick a flat head screwdriver int the fan from behind nd jiggle it till it comes off

6. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Thanks for the help flacostaco. Got the hub off. Anyone know about question 2 and removing the pulley? Ill try a bit more and get ready to remove the valve cover soon. Once i can get those pulleys out of the way, just gotta find TDC and then im opening it.

7. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic Addict

Truck:
    '79 4x4,'89 short-bed 2wd, '85 4Runner
    You have to loosen the nut in the center of the pulley before you use the adjuster on the left. You don't need to put a tool on the back of the bolt.

8. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Ok got that one off, thanks shade tree. Anyone got suggestions for getting to this bolt? I tried using a open end but it keeps slipping off. Is it possible to take off that pulley?

And then how do i reach the bolt in the back of the pulley. Do i need to take off the pulley to reach the bolt?

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

9. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    I'd try to keep all the pulleys on the brackets. Try to get a box wrench on there for that cruddy bolt head by the pulley (circled). Maybe there is more of an issue there I can't see though. Sometimes you have to bend up a "special tool" out of a wrench. I think you can get it with a regular wrench though.

10. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Yeah, cruddy bolts tend to let the wrench slide and round over the edge. Helpful tip for next time, make sure crud is cleaned off before attempting to remove bolts. Im gonna read up on how to take off that pulley. Is that the power steering pulley?

11. Shadetree Mechanic

Truck:
    Yeah, that's the power steering pump on the right and the idler pulley on the left. Definitely, if you are working on your own truck especially, it is always a good idea to spend a few bucks on some engine degreaser and clean that mess up beforehand. Makes the whole job a lot more fun when there isn't a .25" layer of grime on everything. Use the box end of the wrench to break loose bolts every time to avoid rounding off the edges.

12. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Thanks for the advice. just looked it up and looks like i gotta put the belt back on and i going try yank the pulley to reach the bolt. Thanks for the advice on the box end. Young boy just like work and no think things through. Ill post again soon to let everyone know how it goes and what i might potentially need help on. Hahahahha. Thanks man.

13. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Dang, tried putting the belt back on but didnt realize that i unbolted the bolts for the bracket and there all different sizes so no matter how tight i get it the bracket is slipping now. Tried using rope for a bit but that didnt work out. sucks.

14. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    and include bolt extractors. those help alot.

so what are you trying to attempt to do?

15. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Ok so after bitching and moaning i went back out and tried it again and finally got it off. Heres a picture of how i did it. Wrapped rope everywhere to make more tension in the belt.
    [​IMG]

Next step is to drop the oil pan. Find TDC. And remove valve cover.

Question. Can in remove the valve cover before finding TDC or do i have to wait till after?

Oh and nam im doing my timing chain and plugging vaccumm lines.

16. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Ok running into a problem dropping the oil pan. I dropped the cross member and began taking out the oil pan bolts. The first 2 came out no problem. Lots of silicone on the threads but no problem. the next 3 i pulled the bolts snapped coming out. One the head completely snapped off. The other two i got about half way out at it was broken. Got whiteish stuff on the bolts. Could that be because they overtightened putting them in? I was using a extension pulling them out, could that be a problem?
    Heres the snapped ones.
    [​IMG]

Heres the white **** on the bolt. Dunno what it is.
    [​IMG]

Anyone know why or got any ideas as to whats going on? I was on a roll doing this and want to get it done as soon as possible. if anyone knows or got any advice let me know. Thanks.

17. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    I dont think they are broken from the pics i see but that is rtv, you can use an extension. also you can take the valve cover off before finding tdc.. your really dont need to find tdc to do this as long as u put the distributor in the exact same way, and dont turn the crank or head at all but its way safer to find tdc

18. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    Yes i went bacck out and tried a few more bolts and they all appear to be the same size and have that gray RTV **** on it so i assume its fine. Now i just gotta move the steering stuff out of the way to drop the pan.
    I remember reading that all you have to do is slacken one and thats enough space to get the pan out, anyone remember which one it was? Also does the pan need to come all the way out? I got it unbolted but cant figure out how to get it out. Do i need to drop it out to change timing chain? Will it make a difference?

And thanks for the info about the tdc. Well see how that goes tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  19. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
    So yeah after all of that, do i really need to drop the oil pan? Right now its sitting on the steering components. But do i need to access anything from the bottom? If not i going pull the valve cover off and pull the chain out.

20. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    holddd on, the pan has to come out if your timing guides broke, you have to clean the plastic out of the botom of your pan and oil pickup tube, or you will not have any oil pressure and mess something else up big time.

you need to take the timing cover off too, not just the valve cover.

Here is a very good "how to" for this job, follow this for the most part and you will be ok !

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/EngineMods/TimingChain.shtml