Engine Help

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Dioxine, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Dioxine

Dioxine Newbie

Truck:
    90 Toyota P/U
    Alright my 1990 pick up drives good for about 5 mins after start up but then during daily driving it starts to bog down until you press on the gas really hard. Its not i dying bog usually just an annoying (not as fast and it should be) bog. And for the first time just the other day the check engin light came on and it bogged down really hard then died while i was driving. I bought a new fuel filter, but that doesnt look fun to replace so i want to check anything else it could be before i start doing the hard stuff.

Ive Thought
    Fuel Filter
    Fuel Lines
    Fuel Injectors
    Timing?

If anyone can throw me some ideas i woudl appreciate it thanks.

2. TRfknD

TRfknD Veteran

Truck:
    96 Taco / 05 Tundra
    Fuel Pressure Regulator???

3. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

4. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Check 'em, see what kind of shape they are in. Sometimes there can be a bad plug that won't act up until it gets hot and expands slightly.

5. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Most fuel filters (located under the vehicle rather than under the hood) aren't a lot of fun to replace, but if one's bad, it will take the fun out of driving - for sure.

With what you have described I've experienced in another vehicle that I owned and it turned out to be a clogged cat. One of the last things I inspected, for course.

But fuel delivery system; pump, filter, regulator, and lines are wise places to start. There's no sure shot answer without really inspecting, testing, and canceling each potential cause.

But better to solve it, now, than for it to get worse, miles away from home.

Best of luck.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  6. Nook

Nook Addict

7. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    . . . agreed - Do a fuel pressure line test and check to see if its within limits & do yourself a favor just install the new fuel filter. Another one but can getcha - fuel cap on tight or at all. A basic tune-up is always the best way to start and dont forget the air filter, this time of year with all the crud on the road - it doesnt take long to lose airflow with a clogged filter. Also, run a good fuel/oil system treatment thru your truck some good ones are but definently not it - Marvel Mystery Oil or Seafoam. You can also drain the fuel on your tank if your suspicious of anything, remember its always the little things that getcha not the big ones . . .

8. Dioxine

Dioxine Newbie

Truck:
    90 Toyota P/U
    I talked to the previous owner, he was mechanic told me he replaced the fuel filter 2 months before selling it to me. He mentioned that for awhile the injectors would get clogged one or two at a time even after draining the tank and running fuel treament through it, but stopped about a month before i bought it. Someone also mentioned the MAP sensor. Said something about it could cause injectors to clog up by not alowing them to open all the way? If so where is the MAP located on thhis truck cause there are three sensors on top of the valve cover that have vaccum lines attached and one has a line that leads to the fuel pressure regulator, would this be it?

9. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    our 22RE's, i believe we don't run on a Mass Air Pressure system

We run on a Vane Air Flow Meter system.

this is the lil dohicky behind the air filter, it has a flapper valve. some might get stuck or a lil clingy and this might cause a problem to be fixed.

this just depends on usage wear and abuse.

anyhow, remove the air intake pipe before the throttle body. (engine off of course), open the TB all the way and check the intake for any dirtiness or gunk. im sure itll be dirty. but if it isnt so bad, just spray some carb cleaner in there.. but if it is extreme...

INTAKE CLEANING TIME!!! WHOO HOO!

before you do this make sure you buy a can or two of carb cleaner and have a metal brush on hand. and some good strong gloves. spend a free day to do this and clean out all the gunk in the manifold. scrub wherever possible clean. when i did this a few months ago, i had a nice gooey substance of gunk and carbon and deposits in there. cleaned it out good.

good luck sir, and whenever money permits, find some chevron techron fuel system cleaner, should be in a black bottle. goes into gas tank and if money permits to buy something more pricier, i recommend BG 44K...

10. PapaBear1013

PapaBear1013 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Std Cab
    I just recently came across the same problem on my pops 90' yota. I checked every possible thing & it turned out to be a clogged cat conveter. After replacing it problem fixed!

11. 93Toy2wd

93Toy2wd Newbie

Truck:
    1993 toyota 2 wd
    We already covered what "seafoam" does to your motor. Stop telling people to use it.:rolleyes:

12. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    hope this helps

I had a similar problem with bogging down with my '92 pickup. The EFI fuse was blowing. I checked all the wiring and found a loose wire, probably from stereo stuff, under the dashboard. I removed it, replaced the fuse, and everything was all good.

13. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    lol are you talking to me or someone else?

seafoaming doesnt get to everywhere in the intake manifold...

14. Dioxine

Dioxine Newbie

Truck:
    90 Toyota P/U
    Alright well the cat converter was clogged and it helped some. Now its just a surging wtf!!! This only happens after the truck has been driving for about idk 30 to 40 seconds then bam surging and bogging. I have a leak where the mainifold meets the downpipe, would this effect the o2 sensor at all? Its got an after market ignition system on it to, dont know how much i trust the looks of it. Idk but need all that help i can get i appreaciate all your posts ill keep updating till the problem is solved. And no check engine codes either, bust....

15. Dioxine

Dioxine Newbie

Truck:
    90 Toyota P/U
    good call by the way

16. PapaBear1013

PapaBear1013 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Std Cab
    No problem! Glad it helped. Im not sure but im assuming any leak in the exhaust before the cat would cause the o2 sensor not to function properly. Is your yota running hot?

17. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    While it's surging at idle, what happens when you step on the brake?

18. Dioxine

Dioxine Newbie

Truck:
    90 Toyota P/U
    Toyota runs at about 1/5 of the temp gauge didnt know if this is normal opperating temp or not but it gets up to temp real quick in the cold. As for pressing on the brake it doesn't change the idle any and they work fine when im driving. Im gonna try replacing the downpipe gasket or just make sure everything is tight and see how that effects things for now. And ive still yet to check the mas air flow vaine

19. PapaBear1013

PapaBear1013 Addict

Truck:
    1994 Std Cab
    Have you checked your 02 sensor? Or tried adjusting your idle screw?

20. Dioxine

Dioxine Newbie

Truck:
    90 Toyota P/U
    i was trying to check the timining on my toyota and the spark plugs wouldnt make connection with my timining light spring. I could the the spark to arc to the head and block and it was pretty strong but it wouldnt ark to the spark plug even when held onto the spark plug the motor would still miss. So i imagine that the spark plugs for some reason arent firing right but what would cause such a case? Need help asap