Drop shocks.....

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by 808', Oct 15, 2011.

1. 808'

808' Enthusiast

Truck:
    85 single cab
    Ok so I've read and gotten mixed reviews from everyone I've talked to about drop shocks.

In Hawaii some people run ford pinto shocks as 'drop shocks'. Ghetto ya I know.
    I've heard toxics are shotty quality 30$ ea it wouldn't surprise me.
    Then I've heard nitros are too stiff.

But most of all I heard they all blow super easily.

I'm bottoming out on my front shocks already & idk witch way to go. The performance shop over here carrys 3" nitro shocks $58ea. I was trying to get a even 4/4 drop.

Any insight?

2. planemos

planemos Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 2wd Xtra-Cab,98 2wd Xtra-Cab, 1988 Toyota Supra turbo
    I had good luck with 69 Camaro V8 shocks. I used KYB gas a just. Minor modification to the lower holes on the shock.

3. 808'

808' Enthusiast

Truck:
    85 single cab
    Read about this some. Sounds nice n firm. I'm tired of soft shocks.

Is this a pretty common shock they have in stock at say maybe napa or oreily?

4. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Raise the upper shock mount so u can run a stock shock and not bottom it out. More work bu just throwing it out there

5. Litneon

Litneon Super Moderator Staff Member

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Unless you've pulled the bump stops, you can't bottom out the stock shocks. They are designed to allow full articulation of the stock suspension design. When I ran my static setup, there weren't any shocks I could find that would stop me from hitting the bump stops. It didn't matter how stiff they were. The only thing that helped was installing drop spindles, which allowed the torsions to be adjusted to allow more space between the LCA and the stops while still getting the suspension drop I wanted.
    And aside from that, the "drop shocks" that are made for the stock mounts are usually the same length as the OE's, just with different compression and rebound values.

6. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Of course I can't speak for the Camaro or Pinto shocks as I didn't try them.

7. Under Construction '93

Under Construction '93 Addict

Truck:
    1993 Std Pickup
    I had the toxic drop shocks after removing bumpstops entirely. The whole steel perch I plasma cut off. Rode like a dream really low... Just my .02

8. 808'

808' Enthusiast

Truck:
    85 single cab
    Went and picked up some 69 Camaro shocks this afternoon & WOW..........speechless :love:.

Did the passenger side first no biggie.

Drivers side was a little different.....one of the two bolts on the bottom broke (mounts were bent from being bottomed out), it came out though. When i did the other bolt on the last turn the shock completely blew up into two pieces, oil everywhere including my eyes. Spent half an hour washing my eyes. Anyways took care of that took a little break and got back to it. I did have to dremel a little to get it to fit.

These shocks are about 1 1/2" shorter. Handle great, a lot more firm, don't have to dodge as much on the road. Seemed like it just tightend up the whole front end.

One big problem though, with the added amount of travel my tires were hitting my wheel wells a little. Went and knocked off a little of the bolts with grinder & hammered a little but was still hitting. So i cranked the torsion a little and went up.

Gotta throw on the lowpro bumpstops in the morning and it shouldn't be a problem.

9. Litneon

Truck:
    94 xtra cab
    Interesting. I'm glad you were OK and that it rides better.

10. jonnyfm

jonnyfm Newbie

Truck:
    1989 toyota pick up base
    Would that fit on a 89 pick ?