differential question

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by craigdbl, Dec 13, 2011.

1. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

my tranny has been slipping for awhile now.after it warms up it's ok.I thought I should check my differential fluid, just because.The bolt is on xtreamly tight to where it's starting to strip(even with grip locks) any ideas how to remove it?and could that have anything to do with my tranny slipping?

2. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

I had to weld a nut to the plug so it could be removed on a old Toyota truck. Worked great. The axle is completely separate from the trans. To check the diff oil once the plug is out, just stick your finger in and you should be able to touch it with the end of your finger.

Since you have a drain plug on bottom, it would be a good idea to simply drain it and fill with new 85-90wt commonly found at auto stores. Buy the little hand pump & start pumping. (once the bolt is out) Where in CA are you? I can get that plug undone for you.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  3. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Fill plug first, drain plug second.

As for the automatic slipping, when's the last time the fluid has been changed?

oh yeah, make sure it has enough fluid, i heard that was essential for the truck's auto's

4. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

I'm in L.A.-- Fallbrook is alittle bit of a drive. I changed my tranny fluid 3 mos. ago and added 3 qts. and it still slips.(only when it's cold)

5. Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Addict

Yeah if you just can't get it to loosen, your best bet is to get a nut and have someone zap it onto the plug. You can try a hammer and centerpunch or chisel too, when the diff is warm after a drive, or maybe when it's cold out. Not sure which but I'd try both temps.

6. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

I got the bolt off. Had to heat it up with a torch for about a minute.