did a tune up, now only 20 mpg on 22re. whats up?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by moneyhungry, Feb 15, 2008.

1. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    did the tune up. runs a lot better. but i get like 20 mpg. what should i look at next? i changed the plugs to ngk platinum, 5mm wires, new distributor cap, and rotor blade. also i replaced the radiator and thermostat and it doesn't get close to the middle of the temp gauge. before it would run hot 5 minutes into running the truck now i can run it all day and it wont get close to the middle. whats up? did i put the thermostat in wrong? i swore that i put it in how the haynes manual said.

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    normally temp should be below middle.

you will prolly only get 20-25mpg, you can try a new air filter and upping the psi in the tires to gain a few more mpg's

3. Robert m

Robert m Addict

Truck:
    '94 single cab, 22re, 5spd
    you probably got a 180* temp thermostat. normal is 192-195

4. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    its not going to hurt anything having it run a little cooler is it?

5. GrantH

GrantH Addict

outside of performance loss, no. if its anything like the new gauges in cars its only a dummy gauge (speaking with no knowledge on yotas). it stays around/below middle temp until something goes BAD. As in...you have 30-60 seconds to kill your kill before it kills it for you...with loads of money to repair. Few friends had that happen, thinking it was an actualy gauge. It sucks.

6. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    thats what im worried about. i know that these engines are not very powerful, but i dont want something as easy of a fix like a thermostat to reduce the power output.shoudl i get another new thrermostat that is rated at a higher temp?

7. boriquaracer

boriquaracer Newbie

Truck:
    94 standard cab
    you should try replacing the O2 sensor. that'll affect your fuel mileage.

8. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    i was thinking about that. my check engine light doesnt come on, but it would hurt and probably help alot. the truck has 217k miles on it, so i know its past its prime. over the next couple of weeks im going over everything that i can do personally to get it up to par.

9. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    having it run cooler is actually a good thing.

its prolly running cooler because of the new radiator.

try having your O2 sensor cleaned b4 buying a new one, its alot cheaper and if it aint broke dont fix it.

the gauges on yota's are pretty accurate, the only thing to watch out for is a lack of fluid. if the sensor is not immersed in fluid it will have no reading, your motor will overheat with no warning.

you should also try a name brand injector cleaner, i really like Redline complete fuel system cleaner, put it in your tank when empty then fill with normal gas. by half tank you will notice a difference.

normal mpg is 20-26 for a 22r/re, remember you have a few miles on there so its not as efficiant as a new car. if your looking for 30+mpg you have the wrong engine.

you might want to consider upgrading your clutch, by now its prolly slipping a bit (if its stock) and a new one that grabs better will transfer more power to the wheels resulting in a lil better gas mileage, depending on how you use the skinny pedal and weather or not its welded to the floor.

10. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    its an auto tranny. and i drive it like my grandma did, well most of the time. the mpg has progressively gotten worse. i think that im down to 17 now. i ran 87 through it last week and got 19, and put 92 in this week and gettin 17. im going to run some STP fuel injuection cleaner through it on the next fill up. also, if i get this new job, will be adding a short ram, and magnaflow exhaust in a few weeks, and hopefully get my wheels on it after a year of lolly gagging around.

11. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

ChOpPeD~N~DROPped Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    maybe your injectors are clogged?

12. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    The 22re is a great engine & you can bring the power/hp up a lot. A auto trans is not going to give you great mileage . A standard trans makes a big difference!
    I have a 88 w/ a LC Pro Street EFI engine w/ a 5 speed trans, even with a performance engine I get 25.8mpg, if I stay @ 60 ,hard to do!!
    Call LC for advice & parts , one of the best company's I've ever dault with,& they know Toyota's 4 cylin. engines!! :cool:

13. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    yeah i've heard good things about LC. i would eventually like to put a manual in there, but funds are not up to that yet. and my auto works perfectly. would the stp fuel injector cleaner do agood job cleaning the injectors? i know it sounds like a stupid question, but i just never used the stuff.

14. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

ChOpPeD~N~DROPped Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    I prefer Lucas myself, great stuff.

15. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    thanks chopped, i'll try that next fill up. ACTION, what are your hp and torque ratings? what kind of tranny are you useing? i may have to do this in the next couple of years. want to know what im looking at.

again, thanks for the help guys. i'd be up **** creek with out a paddle.

16. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    LC dyno's their engines before shipping,but told me they use a carb set up for easy set up, so my figures are different, I had them match port & polish the intake runners. Stock was around 90hp. mine should be in the area of 200-230hp,not sure on the torque . My trans is stock with LC's short throw shifter,pro clutch ,& 9 1/2lb flywheel . Runs great,real strong,will pull from any gear,@ any speed!!:cool:

17. moneyhungry

moneyhungry Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 Yoda.
    damn so i take it that it was worth the process of trading engines. is it just a simple plug and play. did you have to make any major modifications in the swap?

18. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I first used their parts when I blew a head gasket 106,000miles, & wanted use high performance parts ,headers,cam,etc. The power increase was great,all upper end parts,& milled the head! Was my work truck.
    Replaced the engine @196,000miles,went with their Pro Street EFI & all the parts they recommended! The engine should swap right in, I have a much modified truck,not much is stock @ this point!:cool:

19. 91HiLux

91HiLux Enthusiast

Truck:
    1991 Toyota HiLux 4x4 RN101
    Downey Off-Road would be the other way to go with engine performance, they were backed by Toyota big time when the 22R was out. Downey was incharge of the race trucks Toyota had!

http://www.downeyoff-road.com/

I have had better luck dealing with Downey, than I have with LC..

20. Spyder041

Spyder041 Member

Truck:
    89 4runner
    try seafoaming it before doing anything else