Dash pad removal - HiLux

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by toy_boy, Jan 21, 2009.

1. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    I see all the obvious screws just underneath the pad and I also see all the metal clips. Removed them all. But it still won't come loose. Something else is holding it down, especially on both ends. I know there are clips hidden behind the vents - got those.

Still won't come loose.

Help. :)

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    most of em have 10mm or 8mm nuts holding them to the firewall. id check for those.

since when did you get a hilux?

3. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Not mine. :) LOL. I wish. Someday. One vehicle at a time.

Brother-in-law has an employee with one and I was checking it out. Had some very minor cracks that he wanted to try and repair but he's afraid to make the cracks worse trying to move the pad around.

Was trying to help him out, but for the life of me couldn't figure out what was keeping it in place after removing the "obvious" screws.

Anyhow, will check the firewall.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2009
  4. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    just for info:

my 73 hilux dash was held on by 3 screws on the top, and has about 10 clips behind the pad. just have to give the pad a good tug and it will come off.

5. suncomb1

suncomb1 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1983 Toyota SR54x4 Mojave Edition-Black Package Shortbed Sport Truck
    Did you look at the dash center speaker area? There are nuts / screws usually there. In addition some people sprayed upholery adhesive onto the bottom of the pad when they had a squeaky dash pad or when it bulged up from the heat. Check where the light for the heater control panel is for screws. There are alot of clips along the front of the pad where it meets the part where the defroster ducts are. if the clips are old, rusted and / or broken they could be caught in the holes. Good luck.