Confused about oil leak.

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Christopher Sutton, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Christopher Sutton

Christopher Sutton Member

Truck:
    85 Pickup 2wd
    Hey guys. I got a 85 22r pickup with 319000 miles. She goes through a quart about every 500 miles. I put some uv dye in it for the first time. Nothing under the hood glowing green. I crawl underneath and there is dyed oil slinging out of the tranny rear seal onto the drive shaft and fuel tank. Pull the tranny plug and it's dyed oil in there. Anybody can explain how the hell did I get it in the tranny???

2. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I don't know much about the dye, but i seriously doubt a leaking rear main would transfer engine oil to a possibly bad input shaft seal...?

I would say its the rear main leaking and blowing down the transmission.

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Automatic?

4. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Check the rear half moon on the valve cover, might be that its got a heavy leak their causing it to run down to motor on to the bell housing and down the tranny. Thats a SH** load of oil to leak that fast and you be able to pick it up on the dye....

5. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    With 319K miles your sure to have oil leakage and and consumption. (how many U.S. Manufactures can claim that kind of mileage. ).
    Oil pan gasket is a good place to check. They get brittle with age.
    Do you find any oil spots on your driveway where you park.
    Be sure your pvc valve is working correctly. Oil will always find the easiest way out.
    To my thinking, unless your rupturing oil all over the place, I would consider 1 quart every 500 miles a small investment for a good running engine with that kind of mileage.
    Try your UV light on some fresh trans fluid. You may be getting a false positive from the fluid itself. (if you have the auto transmission).

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  6. Christopher Sutton

Truck:
    85 Pickup 2wd
    Thanks guys for the posts. I have a 4 speed manual. It is leaking in the back of the valve cover but it's not too much. It definitely looks to be coming out the tranny output seal BUT when I pull the plug to check it's about 1/4 from the fill hole. (Nothing has been added to my knowledge for a few years) The only thing I could think of it bad rear main and bad input shaft seal. But wouldn't the clutch be covered in oil? It has never slipped for me before. And the oil pan and old buildup and grime but nothing fresh at all.

7. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Did you clean everything off before putting the UV dye in your oil? You UV tested the gear oil from inside the trans?

8. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Rear main seals rarely go bad. And I agree, your clutch plate would be saturated with engine oil and probably slipping like crazy.
    Trans output seal is a common wear item on the L43. You shouldn't be seeing any dye in the internal transmission lube.
    The input seal could be bad, but I find it hard to believe that sufficient oil would be entering the transmission to contaminate the lube.
    Again, with your mileage, I wouldn't mess with anything unless the leak is so bad you have no choice.
    Have you checked your front crankshaft oil seal? This is a common fail item on the 20R and 22R engines. Usually they let go all at once dumping oil like crazy. Yours may just be starting. Check the area directly behind the crank pulley. If it's saturated with oil, this could be your problem.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  9. Christopher Sutton

Truck:
    85 Pickup 2wd
    No uv glow before I did it. I do have a lot of gunk and buildup on the front but I was gonna do a timing job on it soon so I am gonna reseal everything up front and also that tranny output seal. The front is mainly leaking where the alternator bracket bolts on, the hole is stripped. (I found this out when I had to replace my alternator the other day)

10. Lowtide671

Lowtide671 Enthusiast

Truck:
    88' single cab 2wd
    Maybe its Time to just over haul the whole motor?? the kits are really cheap for these trucks and it would eliminate all the guess work...
    got any pics maybe of where the suspected leaks are at?

11. Christopher Sutton

Truck:
    85 Pickup 2wd
    Well sadly it will be hard to over haul it as it's my daily and travels 80-100 a day. Eventually I'll do the timing chain. Haha I guess I'll just add when needed.