CEL is on????

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by ITMONEY, Sep 6, 2012.

1. ITMONEY

ITMONEY Enthusiast

Well after driving the truck for 2 weeks straight, the CEL decided to come on when I was cruising home from work. Little background...1990 std cab with 22RE and 4 speed. It hasn't effected the way it runs but I can tell that my MPGs are going down now that its on. O2 sensors maybe??? Anyway to check and see what the code is??? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. ITMONEY

ITMONEY Enthusiast

Anybody?

3. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    There is a little box in your engine bay that says diagnostics if the cover is still on it. [​IMG]

with the key off jump those 2 pins with a piece of wire, then go into the truck and count the number of times the check engine light flashes.

it should do some long flashes then some short ones. like long long short short is code 22, long long long short short is code 32.

get the flash code and come back and we can tell ya where to go from there.

4. ITMONEY

ITMONEY Enthusiast

Ok ill do that as soon as I get off work and ill let you know what I come up with. Thanks in advance!

5. ITMONEY

ITMONEY Enthusiast

OK so heres what I've got....jumped the wires and it flashes 5 times...pause...flashes 1 time....pause ...flashes 7 times...pause...flashes 1 time. Any ideas as to what code this is?

6. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    51 is a tps idle circuit code, have you messed with the tps sensor or idle adjustment?

the other is an EGR code, it common for the VSV to go out on these trucks, or the vacuum hose to be off or rotten, or the EGR valve not work on its own.

7. ITMONEY

ITMONEY Enthusiast

Well it was idleing rough when I got it. I did an extensive tune up and then adjusted the idle where I thought it should be. Didn't know that would throw a code. What do I do to correct this? And kinda explain the second one to me a little more. How do I correct the second one?

8. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    Well when you adjusted the idle, did you mess with the screw on the throttle body? Cause thats setting the first code since the throttle is not closing all the way.

hm, its kinda hard to explain the second code. Basically if you look on your hood there is a picture of all the vacuum lines and junk. If you look there is a little plastic valve called the VSV valve, some times its on teh fender some times is on the intake manifold, anyways this valve goes bad and the EGR doesnt open. Other times someone has moved vacuum hoses around and didnt put them back correct. Some times everything is working correct but the EGR is stuck shut, which means you jsut replace the EGR valve. Its one of those things you gotta look at and test parts to find the right broken item.

9. ITMONEY

ITMONEY Enthusiast

Ok......thanks for breaking that down. I'll try and narrow it down between the vsv and egr. As for the other issue...I did adjust the screw on the throttle body. It was idleing so low....what should I do?

10. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    turn it back to where it was and find out why the low idle, you probably have an air leak somewhere.