Brake squeal after lowering blocks??

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Toy88yota, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Toy88yota

Toy88yota Member

Truck:
    88 2wd
    After installing 3'' blocks last week I just noticed today that the rear brakes squeal/grind when use them. Could this have anything to do with being lowered, also the front is not lowered yet if that helps?

2. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    yea, chances are you have a BPV (brake proportioning valve) the way it works, when the truck gets loaded down with weight, it will raise the rod attached to the valve adding more pressure to your rear brakes.

however, lowering your truck has the same effect since the axle comes closer to the bed of the truck making it act like your truk is getting loaded down. your noise is likely the brakes under more pressure. theres a few different ways to fix this issue...... just depends how you wanna go about it.

A) you can bend down the rod to a fairly normal level to decrease the pressure.

B) you can flip your bracket (at the axle) and adjust it to sit lower and making the rod sit lower.

c) you can cut the rod about an inch or so away from the BPV itself and find a way to keep it leveled. Beef Taco (streetacos.com) also sells an adjustable bracket to set this into in order for it to stay adjusted level... or add a tiny bit more or less pressure depending on how you feel it proper.

3. shane4585

shane4585 Newbie

i did a notch, bj flip and monoleaf tonight, my truck is making a horrendous noise, it gets louder when i press in the clutch. what do you think this is?

4. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    louder ONLY when the clutch goes in??

does it make the noise when you move or only in neutral?

5. Toy88yota

Toy88yota Member

Truck:
    88 2wd
    Thanks SD that's what I thought it might be after reading about a Tacoma with a similar issue. Is there any harm in not taking care of this right away? Or is it so easy I should just go outside and do it? Thanks again.

6. SD YOTA

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    Fairly simple fix. It wont hurt it any either. Only issue is in an emergency brake situation, your rear brakes might lock up and cause an unsafe situation. Thats about it.

7. shane4585

shane4585 Newbie

well my problem was the dust shields around the slip yoke

8. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    I had the same problem my rears would lock up I flipped my bracket solved the problem