Anyone tried Seafoam?

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 94Yota_05CBR1K, May 12, 2010.

1. 94Yota_05CBR1K

94Yota_05CBR1K Veteran

Truck:
    94 YoTa Mini 2wd
    Has anyone tried Seafoam before? If so, how was it? Any difference in performance and maintenance?

2. topcop182

topcop182 Addict

Truck:
    1993 single cab 2wd
    I have heard some good things and some bad. While it cleans the motor true, it also may remove gunk and grime that is helping the gaskets seal better. I have never personally tried it, but have always been courious. I would be eager to hear about your expierence.

3. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    ive used it. its a great product. the way i did it was pulled the vacumm line off the booster and had a buddy keep the idle at about 1000rpms then slowly poured it in there until the engine died then just let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes. wen you start it up after the wait its going to smoke like crazy if you've never done it before. just make sure that wen the engine dies you imedietly stop puring. one of my not so intelegent freinds kept pouring it in after the engine cut out and then it hydro locked when he went to start it back up and threw a rod

4. kp@tm

kp@tm Newbie

Just make sure to change your oil after running the smoke out of it. It'll dilute your oil and fry your engine faster than you might think.

5. rajzswap

rajzswap Addict

Truck:
    89 2jz pickup
    What he said.

It work great on damn near every engine but if you put ANY into the crankcase mixed with the oil, dont run it more then 10 miles, be sure to drain it and replace your oil and filter.

Hydrolocked! holy crap, must have used a ton.

6. 94Yota_05CBR1K

94Yota_05CBR1K Veteran

Truck:
    94 YoTa Mini 2wd
    Do I clean it out by driving it while smoking or just let it sit and run and change the oil afterwards?

7. 89dlx47

89dlx47 Veteran

Truck:
    89 standard 2wd
    i drove mine till it quit smoking then changed the oil. it ran a whole lot smoother

ya, it only took about half a bottle in the vacumm line and usually it would take 3/4 of a bottle so after it died he dumped the rest in and let it sit for like 2 hours. like i said hes not the brightest crayon

8. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    93 Std Cab chassis/4Runner 2door body
    Always wanted too try this but so many bad stories out there...

9. 94Yota_05CBR1K

94Yota_05CBR1K Veteran

Truck:
    94 YoTa Mini 2wd
    I haven't heard any bad stories yet besides one. Most suggest it and I've been hearing a lot of good stories so far. Not only on this forum. What stories have you heard?

10. pig rig

pig rig Enthusiast

Ive used it a lot I buy it by the case
    I'll dump it in with the oil on engines that the oil wasnt changed enough and then take it out and run the piss out of it. helps knock some of the sluge loose

I'll hold the trottle about half way open and dump a can in and as it starts to chock I just open up the trottle more and if the engine has a lot of carbon in it it will smoke black and smell bad and yes it is toxic

I also will dump it in my gas tank when Im on a road trip it helps clean carbs and injectors also help knock down some of the varnish that builds up in fuel systems

if i dump it in with the oil change I dont change my oil again untill Ive put close to 3k on it and its do to being changed

Ive found it can help quiet down hydr lifters

my rule of thumb is if you know nothing about how the car was treated give it 3 cans of seafoam
    1 in the oil
    1in the gas tank
    and
    1 in the carb or intake

11. IndianScout

IndianScout Enthusiast

Truck:
    1986 Yoda Truck
    tried it on the grand cherokee, really didn't notice much, maybe a little smoother idle..

12. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    what he said.

I used it too... lol kinda did some puffy stuff but thats all i remember

13. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    A few friends have done it just before a smog test, one in particular just after failing the first test, only to pass after the seafoam and nothing else. So since then whenever I have to smog a vehicle, and only then, do I use it. Otherwise, from what I've learned from a few mechanics is that it's typically something you don't want to do more than once a year at the very most.

Cali smog tests are bi-annual (unless your selling the car) so a can every two years seemed reasonably safe to me.

I can't remember the link, but someone actually posted the numbers to his smog test before and after the seafoam - noting a definite difference in emissions.

14. NotAvailable

NotAvailable Addict

Truck:
    90 single cab bagged and bodied
    the reason for bad stories is because people dnt read the rear label...i used it on my 22r and holy crap thought it was new years eve it was smoking so much. theres alot of smoke i dont suggest driviing around on a busy road due to the smoke and blocking people visions but thats just me. i noticed it had a little quicker start up and better response because mine was a bit sluggish but it worked fine after. i like this product and i use it twice a year just because i love my truck and dont want it dirty..its like washing clothes once a year...lmao

15. 94Yota_05CBR1K

94Yota_05CBR1K Veteran

Truck:
    94 YoTa Mini 2wd
    Yes I actually read the thread about the results after a smog. Well that's the same and only reason why I want to use Sea Foam. I live in Cali and failed emissions by 12. So im thinking about using it. Either I pay $50 plus a can of Sea Foam since risking to waste money since the shop won't give me another free test or $90 for a hook up smog which is guaranteed to pass. I think they won't give me another free test since I used a coupon that was $30 for a smog test which is lame.

16. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    Mainly hydro locking the motor and also it ruining the gaskets. But again these are not first hand stories just stuff off other forums. Also I don't know anyone locally that has done it so I'm suspect to it. Last thing I need to a blown motor.

17. thundering02

thundering02 Addict

theres a whole other thead recently on this same subject over in like engines... maybe you should look.

18. Dcups

Dcups Addict

Truck:
    No that much different info in that thread as this one. I'm just a skeptic(playing devils advocate here). If this stuff is so great why isn't it more popular?

19. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    hydrolocking a motor by seafoaming it? You're not supposed to drown it haha. what you're supposed to do is let it sip it in via the vac lines in order to let it "vaporize" the seafoam as it gets sucked into the intake chamber.

20. surferdude

surferdude Newbie

Truck:
    1993 toyota hilux surf 2,4 turbo
    we had stuff like it here in the uk, but you cant tell a lot of diffrence to be honest,:shrug: