A/C Install????

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by beaver50, Jun 22, 2014.

1. beaver50

beaver50 Member

Truck:
    77,TOYOTA STOUT,00,CHEVY, S10
    Ive seen people with A/C units in these.They say they came out of a Hilux that had A/C.How hard is it to put A/C in these trucks?Has anybody on here did it.If so could somebody explain it to me.if you have some pics please post them up too.

2. Scomber

Scomber Enthusiast

Assuming you had the parts, how comfortable are you with completely disassembling your dash? If it was me, I'd almost rather swap cabs and keep the dash in place than have to put one back together. My parts truck had A/C and I have most of the pieces, but I'm told that if a compressor has sat disconnected for any length of time, don't trust it now. It might have gotten enough rust inside to not work right. (Maybe it will, but it's a lot of work for "maybe".) That and it will suck power off your engine.

I like having no A/C and no power steering, but then I'm in coastal Maine...

3. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Doable!!!:cool:

4. Inertia

Inertia Enthusiast

Try looking for a universal under dash kit if you're not comfortable tearing apart your truck my Truck came with one and its a 74 'but was old and the under dash part was broken so i yank it out but looking for a new one now it hot in texas :duh:

5. beaver50

beaver50 Member

Truck:
    77,TOYOTA STOUT,00,CHEVY, S10
    Theres several aftermarket companys that make them.Ive not seen nobody with the aftermarkey set up in a older hilux truck.I have seen 5 or 6 that have had them swapped in from older hilux trucks.The aftermarket kits are very high dollar.The hilux with the A/C has the box under the dash.The blower and all is together.Ive seen it in other trucks so it can be done.I would say the biggest problem would finding the A/c unit.

6. Erick561

Erick561 Veteran

I ship from New London County CT I Price Match
    Truck:
    79 Toyota Hilux 4WD WHEELING DAILY DRIVER
    when i get that carb that you need i will also have a hilux truck which i believe has AC on it. But you couldn't afford to buy 2 parts you were asking me for so do you realize this will be expensive?

7. metalgear696

metalgear696 Newbie

I registered to this forum to weigh in on this topic lol. I have a '77 RN28 with a Denso A/C unit, factory module under the dash. It clearly doesn't blow cold but the fan does work great.

I've been figuring out how to make it work and the best solution I can think of is installing a modern A/C pump from any vehicle and replacing the lines, possibly replacing all of the fittings as well. Would the new coolant wreck the A/C box in the cab? I honestly am not certain.

I have the old pump under the hood but we dont have any refrigerant available these days(probably r12 or older maybe, not completely sure). Or the obvious concern about the motor being no good, needing to be rebuilt/refurbished. That's why I think the easy fix is modernizing the A/C pump. 50-100 bucks for a pump off any car from a junk yard(hopefully working).

I'm sure there isnt a super easy quick fix solution. There never is with these trucks. :) Just putting out what I've thought about Denso A/C

8. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    When I recorrected my 1988 AC, using my stock pump,I replaced the drier,condenser,evaporator,valve @ the evaporator & all hoses & all new o-rings.
    I washed the pump out with the proper cleaner the correct oil on the bench & added the correct amount of oil when installed. Applied vacuum to the system & let stand for 10 minutes or so to see it held. Than added the 134. The system has been working fine with the old style pump. :cool:

9. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    Do you find that there is any decrease in cooling at idle versus when moving with the 134A ? Mine was converted and works fine unless you sit still and there is no air flow over the condenser. Just wondering if it is a 134 thing or a issue with mine.

10. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    Seems fine!:cool: