90 SBC 350 Drift Truck

Discussion in '1989-1995 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by Blakesommers77, May 1, 2016.

1. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

I would not be opposed to a second page.

2. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Ordering the following;

• Turbo 350 Trans Mount
    • Water Pump Pulley.
    • Possibly some universal radiator hose.
    • Alternator Relocation Bracket.
    • Praying that my driveline gets done before the weekend so I can go drive.
    • If all goes well would you guys like to see some Gopro footage of the first drive on Saturday?

3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Hell yea we want some footage! Youre one of the few that has started a 350 swap on here and is following thru

4. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Awesome! Yeah that was one of my frustrations when I was looking for info to do the swap, hours of reading and aside from the 4wd guys I could rarely find a build thread where they actually completed it. Our "final" day on Saturday I may bring out the camera and put together some footage to get a little different view besides the photos. It is a little tough to find time to edit videos after a 70 hour work week. Should be able to make it happen though :)

LAYNLOW likes this.
  5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Looking forward to the footage.

LAYNLOW likes this.
  6. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Hell yeah!

LAYNLOW likes this.
  7. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Ill post an update in a little bit, if I had the 4 speed manual, what is my rear end code? I need to order a Mini Spool.

I would go look but Im stuck at work and I wont see my truck until Saturday.

-Blake

8. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    4 speeds are usually an 8" 4:10 aint it?

9. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

That's what I'm thinking. Can anyone else chime in on this?

10. 90DailyDriven

90DailyDriven Veteran

Truck:
    90 standard cab 2wd short bed
    43:13 = 3.07
    Filters
    [​IMG]

11. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Yup G code with 3.07's.

12. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    My '86 HAD a 4-speed....G662 if i remember correctly.

8" with 3.07 gearing like 90DailyDriven said:)

13. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Lots of updates

• Dropped Driveline off to get work done - A week later I go to install it and find out they made it an inch too long. So as of today that is back in the shop to get shortened. I guess using a tape measure is too hard for some people :/
    • Got my gauges all wired up (I think I posted a pic of that a while back)
    • ALT, belts, brackets and all that jazz are installed now. Few places wanted 90 bucks for the Alternator spacer so I got some 3/8 all thread with a few nuts and made my own.
    • Hacked out more core support in order to fit the radiator behind the bumper, I'll have to notch the back of it but it should still look normal form the outside. This will give me room to have my fan pulling instead of pushing which should work a little better.
    • Hood is definitely not going to clear, it barely clears without an air filter so looks like ill be buying a scoop from summit or jegs.
    • Scored some missing parts for my transmission from a Local Tranny shop so that was helpful after the ebay seller sent my order to the wrong state after paying for 2 day shipping. Few weeks later and I still don't have it... I was missing the Accumulator Cover. They gave me a new cover, springs, ring and all the gaskets/O-ring.
    • Pulled all the soggy carpet out of the truck and discovered about 20 bucks worth of coins. Score!
    Things that are in the mail right now;
    Grant Hub Kit (3593)
    Bunch of 4 gauge wire
    New Battery Terminals
    Moroso Spark Plug Wires
    Grant 701 GT Steering Wheel
    Hydro E-Brake

Driveline "should" be done on Thursday so I'll have it in time for Saturday.

Questions for all of you lovely people;

Before I had pulled the 22r out I marked the lead wire that was connected to the ALT. This looks like it disappears into the abyss of the harness. Is this just a straight lead from the + Terminal? I noticed there were two wires inside the insulator, one was hot and the other was not. As of right now the plan was to only run the hot one to the terminal on my chevy ALT. What's the other one for? On the Chevy ALT there is two wires that connect through a pigtail. They are for the Voltage Regulator, what is going to be the best way to integrate this into the factory Toyota harness? Did the Toyota alternators for our pickups have a reg built into the alternator? Little confused on how to wire this up. Any help would be awesome!

For the hydro e-brake, anyone ever set one of these up? I assume it is just a T off the hydro lines that go to the rear brakes but I have not looked that closely yet. Usually when I get home from the shop I realize that there are a few things that I meant to look at and I didn't. Maybe ill start making a list... :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know if anyone has any questions that I have not covered yet, trying to be as complete as possible with these updates.

-Blake

mrhanky and LAYNLOW like this.
  14. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Just saw the updates from everyone's reply on the G Code Rear End. Thank you!!! Looks like the Mini Spool will be ordered shortly. :)

To prevent missed package deliveries everything is getting delivered to my work now since I seem to always be here. I'm sure my Coworkers will appreciate all the truck parts haha.

-Blake

15. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Got a fair amount of work done over the weekend. I was terrible about taking pictures... Zoned out and just tried to get as much done as possible.

• Bottom radiator mounts are built. No the ziptie up top is not staying there.... Probably going to use some sheet metal to secure the top. I used the bottom of a 4.3 radiator shroud (s10) for the bottom mounts. Looks like the top of it will work perfect as a fan shroud and my electric fan fits perfectly inside it.
    • Trans mount - The th350 came fairly close to the original trans mount location so we just extended the bracket on the th350 mount a couple inches and drilled some holes to bolt to the crossmember. The steel strip was then welded to the mount. I'll get pictures soon. Super simple.
    • I was able to use the stock 36 inch radiator hoses for a 70's C10 pickup. I had to cut the top hose but the bottom did not require any changes.
    • Installed a new set of Moroso Spark Plug wires.
    • Driveline came back from the shop once again and I was able to get that installed.
    • Cant decide if I'll buy a tach/speedo and make my own cluster or reuse the original. Speedo's and tach's seem overpriced to me.....
    • New Terminals
    • 4 gauge power lead for the alt and upgraded all the grounds
    • Grant steering wheel and hub adapter arrived in the mail along with my hydro e brake.
    • Voltage Gauge and Oil Pressure Gauge are all hooked up, just have to screw in the water temp gauge down on the block.
    • In order for the driveline to fit you have to remove the e-brake cables.... The brackets hits the driveline so cut all that sh*t out :)
    [​IMG]

It runs :) More to come on this!
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Air pockets in the coolant lines make a mess. Oops.

Almost drivable then it's time to get it reliable enough to daily. My 16 Scion TC is starting to bore me :)

-Blake

jblaust likes this.
  16. twizted1

twizted1 Addict

Truck:
    '89 xcab 2wd
    That last pic looks like your truck has a mohawk....lol.

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Dude thats awesome! Glad you got it going. Hows does having 4 more cylinders feel?

18. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

It feels pretty damn good! I was really easy on it because there is still lots of tuning to do... Bringing it home on Sunday if all goes well to try and get it ready for a Drift Event on the 2nd and 3rd. Fingers crossed that I can pull it off in time.

-Blake

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Should be able to whip that thing around like nothing

20. Blakesommers77

Blakesommers77 Member

Update time

The Good:
    • Engine bay is starting to get more organized
    • Top radiator mounts are done
    • Roll Cage ordered
    • Bride Seats Arrived (Reps)
    • Set of 5 points Racequip harnesses arrived
    • Slapper bars arrived
    The Bad:
    • Transmission is shot and in order to replace I'll have to cut the cross member out and bolt it back up when it all goes back in. The gear Cog on the side of the tranny is binding up really bad. It will work fine for a few minutes and then it will not go into park/reverse etc etc. Also has a bad torque converter. Below 3k RPM's it works fine but starts slipping pretty easily.
    • If anyone in Spokane has a lift I could use for the day I would toss ya some money. I just really do not wanna do this swap on the floor of the shop.
    • Had a small fire on Sunday.... After struggling to get the transmission to not slip I was able to get in a few good donuts out in the road and once I hit about 60MPH and let off the gas it ignited some gas fumes from the vent line (oops) Only damage was a few vacuum lines, no biggie.
    Pics Below

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Let me know if anyone in this area sees a good TH350 Short Shaft (2wd)

-Blake