86 turbo trouble

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by alompopa, Sep 9, 2010.

1. alompopa

alompopa Newbie

Truck:
    86 xcab turbo
    My truck is a 86 turbo Automatic and at around 2200 rpm or higher it feels like it would shut down when it shift from 2nd to 3rd gear, the rpm drop more that normal It only happens right at the transition point and is OK after that and only happens if I go from a dead stop and only if there is turbo boost. If the boost is not there it shift very smooth.
    Thank you guys

2. jrealmuto1

jrealmuto1 Member

Truck:
    1986 Yota 2wd
    sounds like boost leak to me...check ALL boots and vac lines....:shrug:

3. Fabian

Fabian Newbie

Truck:
    86 SR5 pickup extra cab turbo.
    could be the turbo cut off,how much boost r u running?

4. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Stock, or modded? but it might be that the exhaust manifold has a crack in it. the manifolds are defective from the factory..

5. alompopa

alompopa Newbie

Truck:
    86 xcab turbo
    It is all stock.

6. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    have u looked for a crack between 2nd and 3rd cylinder? anything new wrong with the truck? other than that check for leaks from the turbo to the intake manifold..

7. alompopa

alompopa Newbie

Truck:
    86 xcab turbo
    I will look into it. I got the truck early this year and been getting it fix up, that is the only problem that i have not been able to repair.
    Dould it be that the factory internal gaste valve may be bad?
    Thank you all.

8. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    i cant honestly say, as i have only owned me turbot truck for abit. just trying to give u some ideas and place to check..

9. Drako8972

Drako8972 Newbie

Truck:
    86 Toyota 4runner (stock), 86 toyota pickup turbo (engine mods), 87 4runner (rockcrawler)
    turbo over boost

hey my name is nate and i run only toyota in rock crawlers racing and simple driving, i have 2 turbo yota's that both do what you describe, i find that mine do it whenever im in the turbo at 8 or more psi of boost, to explain why yours does it when it shift is simple, mine decides to add boost when it shift from 1st gear so if your already in the turbo it may just be over boosting right after that gear change, to fix that problem im hunting down the answer, if anyone knows the exact location of the boost switch on a sr5 extra cab pickup im trying to fool the computer so mine and others don't have this issue, i've been told to take an air brush pressure regulator and install it before the switch and regulate it at 7 psi
    thanks for the help

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    don't go past 10psi.
    1. lean out
    2. hot intake, get an intercooler, recommended

pressure regulator will help tons.
    add a boost gauge yet?

11. Drako8972

Drako8972 Newbie

Truck:
    86 Toyota 4runner (stock), 86 toyota pickup turbo (engine mods), 87 4runner (rockcrawler)
    well i got a lc engineering cylinder head with stainless steel valves, ported and polished, and a mild performance cam, intercooled and we used to have a hobbs pressure switch on the thing to fool the computer but the guy we bought it from took it off cuz it broke now no one knows where the stupid switch is on the stock block, and we like hp :D the truck never had overheating problems or ping problems just the injector kill switch, the engine used to have flat top pistons but they weren't forged so we went into it and put the stock forged back in, once in a blue moon we can get up 18psi of boost and no ping or heating problems but after the rebuild i've noticed the injector kill kicks on more often, not so fun in a race

12. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    hmm, that's pretty weird. have you looked at some 22RTE forums for some help? I'd love to help you more. I was reading on some 22RTE stuff earlier today and saw you post this.

btw, any pics of your truck's setup? sounds pretty badass :D

13. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    there is only one forum that i know of for the 22rte specfic..thats this forum.. 22RTE-Trucks - Index

now if i can just get my truck to run correct id be happy..i hate trying to figure out problems..uggh..

14. alompopa

alompopa Newbie

Truck:
    86 xcab turbo
    Hey Nate, I was reading over at the 22RTE Forums and I found that the problem could be the the Waste valve may be sticking and producing to much boost, when that happen apparently there is and fuel cut off. That is the way it feels when it ****s and I'm over 2200 rpms.

15. Drako8972

Drako8972 Newbie

Truck:
    if you guys have facebook all of my stuff is there but this 86 turbo pickup isn't on there Welcome to Facebook i've been looking all over for this mod but still no luck the old one was called hobbs pressure switch but where it went i don't know

16. Drako8972

Drako8972 Newbie

Truck:
    86 Turbo hesitation/Injector Kill solution

ok finall i found the answer to the riddle of a hesitation felt usually when shifting into 2nd gear, my truck as some of you know was building more than normal amounts of boost up to 15 psi, usually when it gets to 8-10psi the maf sensor detects a high demand of air so is temporarely kills the injectors to lower the boost, this hesitation can also be felt IF the vehicle has been tuned for a richer mixter, beleive it or not the answer is simple, a bolt and nut to keep the maf from opening all the way. Of course i don't recomend adding more boost and doing this because it will lean the system out and yes there is another solution to that, tap into your cold start injector to suply the extra fuel needed or if you got the money check out some of the kits LC Engineering has for these motors, they are the ones i found the tuning info on the maf and why the maf is the cause of this hesitation, however there are cheaper routes for tuning your car, go to Kragen and pick up a mixture gauge and tune the above. Thanks for all your help on the previous problem guys and gals

17. Drako8972

Drako8972 Newbie

Truck:
    oh and fyi the factory pistons, according to LC, are not forged on the turbo models

18. ranger6

ranger6 Member

Truck:
    86 22RTE
    Thanks for the info. I was having the same problem and suspect the MAF had something to do with it.