82sr5 toyota pickup, Need Help plz

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by 82SR5_Diaz, Sep 17, 2016.

1. 82SR5_Diaz

82SR5_Diaz Newbie

Hello everyone, Im new to the forums industry so hopefully I can get some help in my built and hopefully I manage to work this lol, Well first of all I have a 82 toyota pickup sr5 22r engine, Long story short it was my dads truck until the transmission gave out on him, Either way he had it just parked in our parking spot just sitting,so I grabbed the pink slip and put it under my name haha yes just like that and a few bucks,dumb dmv lol....either way not so long ago I did a transmission swap with a buddy of mine,
    Screenshot_2016-06-25-11-34-08.png
    The only thing is that we couldn't find the exact same 5 speed tranny, so until a toyota chop shop "if that's what you call them". Sold me a toyota supra's used transmission that was compatible for my truck. So basically once we got the transmission installed to the engine we noticed the reverse light sensor was different, also the transmission mount wasn't sitting right where it was suppose to be on the mounting plate
    20160901_135700.jpg
    You see they don't connect,
    20160901_135610.jpg
    The little stud doesn't jump in its hole it's a little too far back. what should I do?
    Also the old tranny mount bolts don't fit in this tranny how do I get the right ones? How do I figure out what exact tranny I have?
    20160901_135919.jpg
    See how the bolts don't go all the way threw.I really need help, I'm really trying to make this truck become my promising truck I want to have one day,this is a picture I got off google that shows an exact replica of how I want my truck lol
    Screenshot_2016-08-14-16-42-28.png
    Seriously This is really inspiring to me, yes I plan to do the round headlight conversion.... so hopefully I can get some help with these little issues I'm having. theres a lot I still need to do and I'll make sure to post pictures and more questions about my built tomorrow. Thanks hopefully I get some help..

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    Measure the length of the tranny. The W50 will be 20.8 inches long. Anything longer is a W56 or 58.

3. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    For the transmission mount to the frame, did you try flipping it the other way around? I installed mine backwards the first time I dropped my transmission out of my truck.

The bolt issue, when you remove the mount, screw in the bolts before you put mount back on. If they don't screw all the way down (or at least 1/2 way) the bolt thread size is different. You will know it is different because it will start to screw on then stop after 1 to 2 turns. If this happens you will need a thread checker (https://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Thread-Checker-Inch-Metric/dp/B003FJW0GK) If the bolt does screw all the way down, but is still sticking out, it might be to long. Find something that you can stick in the hole (a straw works) have it bottom out, then mark the straw, take the straw and place the part of the straw that went into the hole under the bolt head (part that goes on wrench or socket), if the line you marked is shorter than the treads, your bolt is to long.

Not sure if you figured out the wiring issue (for the reverse light, the pic you posted) but all you need to do is put new electrical connectors on it and plug them in. Should work then. If I'm correct the way the reverse light switch works is that it completes the ground for the wiring.

Hope this helps.

P.S. - If I made this post seam like you don't know anything about working on cars, that wasn't my goal, just wanted to explain it easiest for everyone, incase someone else has an issue like this.