81 22r throttle sticking until i stop

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by EastBay521, Jan 10, 2016.

1. EastBay521

EastBay521 Newbie

Truck:
    81 sr5 longbed
    So im new to the toyota world ive been playing with Datsuns the past few year and have never had this issue before. Last night i picked up an 81 pickup runs and drives great, i drove around for a good hour after purchasing it and gave it a good beating. ran fine until i got down the street from my house the throttle started sticking, or so i thought. It only seems to do it when its up to temp. i though it was maybe a sticky throttle cable until i realized that the throttle only "sticks" until i bake and come to almost a complete stop then the rpms will drop down. when in neutral you can stomp on the pedal and the engine will rev and drop the rpms like normal, but as soon as you take off in gear and step on the clutch the rpms stay at about 4krpm until i come to a stop. im thinking it could be vaccum related since its only happening when im rolling? Im in CA is it an issue with the ca compliant carbs? Its just a guess rite now like i said im new to toyotas so any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance. Earl