22r single turbo

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by 84redyota, Jan 4, 2011.

1. 84redyota

84redyota Newbie

I'm starting a single turbo project on my 22r carb motor I need to know how much boost is safe to put to these stock engines.....mine has 60000 miles on it and no the speedo hasn't rolled over has anyone put a turbo on a carbed 22r and what things needed to be done...thanks for the help

2. drama808

drama808 Member

Truck:
    84 xtra cab, 75 Long Bed, 09 Ruckus
    Did you search at all?

3. 84redyota

84redyota Newbie

Yeah a couple days ago I went through google searching for a while didn't find too much especially on carburated just on the efi 22re

4. drama808

drama808 Member

Truck:
    Google blow through/draw through turbo setups. Really, they are all basically set up the same. Going to need to upgrade your fuel delivery and possibly ignition but you should be able to run 5-7 pounds fairly reliably. Good luck man and post up some progress if you get going on it.

5. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    dude, I ran 22psi when I blew my motor, only reason why it blew was it over heated. I had 3 ebay pistons and 1 toyota piston in it.. the toyota piston is the only one that did not break... it was a turbo piston though. so honestly I would say boost around 12psi safely as long as you keep it cool. I would deff invest in turbo pistons ebay or toyota ones are fine unless you go crazy like i did..

6. 84redyota

84redyota Newbie

So how many pounds would be safe on a non turboed engine I already have a msd 6al box on it

7. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    if you got the box that adjusts your timing then i would go no more then 9psi. its really not that hard to pull your pistons out and replace them with the right ones... you will most likely regret not doing it right the first time.

8. 84redyota

84redyota Newbie

Yep this is stupid every website I search on tries to make everything way more complicated than its suppose to be

9. drama808

drama808 Member

Truck:
    While it isn't rocket science, it is not as easy as slapping a turbo kit on and calling it good. Running a blow through setup on a carb isn't like bolting a turbo onto an efi vehicle. And lets be realistic, 22 lbs on a stock motor isn't going to last. I could turn up the boost to 40 lbs and say "hey look, I'm running 40 lbs of boo....m". The only reason your (v8 titan) motor blew wasn't because it overheated, it's because you were running a ridiculous amount of boost on a motor that couldn't handle it.
    If I were you (op) I'd look at doing a swap. You could get into a 7mgte, do a good head gasket and head studs, make a lot more power, be more reliable and still be way cheaper than a properly setup blow through turbo.

10. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    :waytogo:

11. toyota21

toyota21 Member

:shrug:Lots of $$$$
    if your gonna do it on a stock 22r 5-6 lbs. Get a msd 6btm. at least a holley 2 barrel with a hat. and itll be a lot safer through a intercooler. :shrug: it's not as easy as it seems. detonation can do a lot of damage to cast pistons in a split second.

12. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    Drama. It wasnt a stock motor, it had turbo pistons with a lower comp head. it ran fine for months until my electric fans gave out during a hard pull and then it blew.

toyota21, I had a 500cfm 4 barrel and an intercooler...also it did not cost me lots of money, it was very cheap.

84, B.Y.E. has the pistons I sold him a while back for sale again, he bought them off me when I put them in my motor and found more problems so they were never used. he wants 40 bucks for them. I think I paid 100....

13. drama808

drama808 Member

Truck:
    Dude, mix and matching pistons does not constitute a "built" motor. Truthfully, you would have been better off running all stock components...And what head were you running? I'm not here for a pissing match, I just do not agree that you could reliably run 22 psi on this thing for any length of time. What did you have done for fuel upgrades?

14. oahu grown

oahu grown Toyotaholic

Truck:
    92 Extra Cab
  15. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    Drama. I didnt say my motor was built, I just said what it had. Also the mixed matched pistons was not my idea. I bought the motor like that and discovered it when i tore it down after all 3 ebay pistons broke on the ringlands. I had a stock head on, and when I replaced the pistons I put a pre lazer head on not knowing there was a difference in the deck height. Like I said I bought the motor used, it worked for the guy before me and it worked for me, untill my fans died. even with 3 cracked pistons it ran like a raped ape ! smoked like hell and blew oil out the top when I hit boost but it ran. And no hard feeling man im not trying to aruge either. but it seams like there are a lot of people wanting to go turbo, and a small few who say "oh what wont work, you wont get any power..blahsggaufhaugblah blah..." I just get sick of that, because it discourages anybody from trying it themselves! my turbo kit was backyard built but it still worked, and it was stupid fast for these trucks....as for the fuel upgrade, beleive it or not the stock mechanical pump fed it fine, with the 500cfm carb and boost.

If I left my truck at 15psi peak I bet my life it would still be running today...

Tim Arnold likes this.
  16. V8_TITAN

V8_TITAN Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 std cab
    and here is the pics of my setup, if anyone is interested. Wish i had more but this is all I have to remember it...

Attached Files:

17. toyota21

toyota21 Member

:waytogo:Draw through set up. very interesting. nice job. how did you tune it? wideband?

18. 84redyota

84redyota Newbie

My setup is gonna be a 57mm t3/t4 hybrid rear mount...just some side info anyone know what fuel upgrade would be a good idea I don't know good parts when it comes to toyotas

19. 84redyota

84redyota Newbie

Just put the truck on the dyno.....first pass was 85hp 120ftlbs then we decided to put some nitrous to it and got up to 102hp 132ftlbs....good day

20. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    lawl..throw some nos on that bitch it'll go faster lol!

why you gonna rear mount the turbo? i would make a manifold and keep it in the engine bay, there is plenty of room for it, and it will make it spool faster/less pipe to flow until you get in the throttle.