20R rebuild or upgrade

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by jetas, Jan 14, 2016.

1. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Looking for advice from you guys. Should i have my 20R rebuilt?(its got a knock and sounds like its coming from the bottom end), locate a 22R in decent shape and run it, or find a 22R for cheap in need of a rebuild?

In the future il probably do a swap but at the moment im just looking for a drop in deal.

Whats your guys opinion?

2. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Personally, unless you're trying to keep your truck original, I'd say swap it out for something else instead of rebuilding your current block. Finding a cheap running 20/22r would be a good option for a temporary solution if planning to do more later, even if it's to keep the truck going as you rebuild your stock block yourself. When you're done with it you get to sell it for what you paid, or at least close to.

I've never personally been excited with the performance of my 22re or my 20r, I even used to have a 22re-t truck - I mean they get the job done and are stupid simple, extremely reliable engines -- but all evidence points to you not making significant gains if you throw thousands of dollars into it with all the available upgrades you can slap on those blocks.....for the same investment (or less), you could adapt a different engine and make more HP - like say a 3rz, 2jz, or 1uz swap. I look in the wide open engine bay and ridiculously small wiring harness of my 1975 and dream of someday stuffing a 1uz under the hood (or a turbo 2rz which will likely fit better)

2rz/3rz from a Tacoma is a GREAT engine I hear and is what I'd lean toward if those used trucks weren't so damn expensive compared to say a Lexus with a 1uz that can be picked up for $1k any day of the year. I know for sure my MIL's 3rz/5spd Tacoma 4wd feels like it has SIGNIFICANTLY more power than my 22re/5spd pickup 4wd. My FIL's 2rz/auto Tacoma 2wd still feels pretty darn peppy, but I think the auto robs a lot of power. I've never personally driven a 1uz vehicle, but an acquaintance of mine stuck a 1uz and lexus auto trans in his 1st gen 4runner and that thing still had some pep with stock 4.10 diff gears and 33s.

Heck, I know this might be blasphemy but I've even dreamed about the challenges to take a wrecked hybrid car or even a FWD drivetrain and mating all that stuff into an old truck. I'm sure this would be extremely difficult and to my knowledge its not been attempted yet, but anything's possible if you've got time and fabrication skills.

good luck with your decision

jetas likes this.
  3. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Thanks for your input bro. Only reason why i havent said screw it and bought another engine to swap in is because i just rewired the truck and dont wana mess with any more wires lol.

Ive looked at the 3RZ, 1UZ, LS1, BEAMS, and a few others like a carb'd SBC or an 18RG if i could find one. I just cant decide on what id enjoy more. I want to keep it as simple as possible but the way things are looking, il probably end up with something with EFI.

Id love to get some input from someone with a 1UZ. I think thatd be damn fun in a light weight truck

4. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Depending on the year of truck it could be a lot of work to get a 1UZ in. I'm putting a 3sge Beams in my '73 and it is taking a good deal of fab work, like new frame rails up front.

5. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I have a 72 second gen, basically the same as you have. Il peak at your thread from time to time.

I might stick with something carbd for now. I really dont want to deal with any more wiring, or ripping out what i have already done. Easiest will obviously be the 20R thats already in it but the fact that i got a TH350 for free(i was told it was rebuilt but who knows) makes me want to just say screw it and throw a small block in it.

i really just want to drive the damn truck to be honest.

6. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I'm at the same point, my truck has been in the shop since last April and the work is just now taking off... Mine is a pretty big build though, it kinda snow balled pretty bad. There are some new pictures in my build thread of the front frame rails and the progress on the 3 link.

7. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Saw an ad on CL that said 22R $60. I text the dude and he said $60 is for the ECM(im assuming for a RE) then he says the engine he wants 1200 for, not rebuilt just pulled.

The hunt continues

8. convict

convict Member

Truck:
    74 hilux (pickup)
    Tell him he is dreaming.
    You could get a 1uz for that coin

9. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Yea that dude was full of crap. It just sucks because it seems like everyone around here wants to sell theyre old wrecked cars for just as much as a running car

first80toyota likes this.
  10. first80toyota

first80toyota Addict

Truck:
    '77 Hilux
    I'd just rebuild the 20r you have, but see about getting it bored out for 22r pistons..

11. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    I really want to keep the cost down to a minimum on the rebuild.

In other news, im researching LSx swaps. Doesnt seem too difficult, just time consuming. Tons of support out there specially for swaps. So we will see what happens

12. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Upgradd with two d's for a double dose of power! An ls400 1UZ is easy to fit in pre 79 trucks since the steering is behind the wheel centerline. Just sayin...

13. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    If you go back too far the front frame rails are narrower. I had to have the front section rebuilt to fit the 3sge in my '73, but the portion of the frame inside the engine bay was almost 2 inches narrower than the '78 I had. I wish there would have been more room, it wouldn't have cost sooo much money.

14. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    I didn't know that. I've had a 76 and 78 and they were wide enough. I'm assuming the post 75 or so are wider to fit the 20r rather than 18r?

15. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    The main things that make yhe 1UZ appealing are the fact that its all aluminum and its Toyota.

Maybe im not looking hard enought but i cant seem to find definitive answers on the swap

16. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    Yeah, up until '74 the frame rails were 18.5 inches ant the engine, '75 and up went to 20.5.

17. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Well damn, with those narrow frame rails might have to stick with a 4cyl

18. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    The Beams is a 4cyl and it still didn't fit very well, lol.

19. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Lol. I shouldve said 2RZ/3RZ.

20. Cade01

Cade01 Veteran

Truck:
    1973 Toyota Hilux
    I thought about one of those but I couldn't find one for less than the Beams, in the long run it would have been way cheaper though...