1985 pickup 2wd exhaust suggestions?

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Yota85, May 18, 2016.

1. Yota85

Yota85 Newbie

Heyy everyone. New to the game. I have a 1985 2wd pickup I need a new exhaust and figured I'd do header back. Any suggestions on brands and how big. Don't want anything obnoxious but definitely like a little throaty tone. Hopefully get a little more input then I did when I had wheel questions on here haha

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    2.25 piping and a glasspack.

3. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I think the LCE headers are pretty good value for money: they'll last you a long time and give you good performance. Run either 2" or 2.25" to the muffler/glasspack, then 2.25" or 2.5" back from there.

If you're required to do a catalytic converter in your state, do just that instead of a muffler (it acts like a muffler).

Consider electric cutouts before the muffler/cat if you want to be occasionally obnoxious :lol:

Yota85 likes this.
  4. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I have rhe lcengineering street header and am very happy with it. No issues, and have to agree, 2.25 is most recommended for,the size, unless u go boosted.

Yota85 likes this.
  5. Yota85

Yota85 Newbie

Awesome thanks everyone! Did you guys keep the tip coming out behind the drivers side wheel or did any of you make it come out the back?

6. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I did a custom cat-back exhaust.

As in I cut off everything after the cat

Yota85 and jetas like this.
  7. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    I ran it to a dual tail pipes straight out back. I will change it up this time when i reinstall though

Yota85 likes this.
  8. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    [​IMG]
    LC headers,LC cat, Borla muffler , all stainless,2.5 pipe & stainless tips,all is ceramic coated except the tip ends!!

Mikerocosms, Yota85 and 90DailyDriven like this.
  9. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    Inverted supra tail lights. Nice touch!

10. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
  11. Yota85

Yota85 Newbie

Any pics of yours Frinzo? Whatcha going to do this time and what is making you switch it up? Just curious.

12. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab

I'll have to look for a pic. But I torn my truck down to bare frame (see my build thread) Reason I'm redoing the exhaust is because the tips rusted off from sitting for a few years. I want to run a dual corvette side exhaust, but I'm not sure how to run it with it being lowered so much. I have an idea, but not sure I want to run it that way. One member posted a pic of it on his 5th gen pickup.

Yota85 likes this.
  13. Frinzo

Frinzo Toyotaholic

Truck:
    '86 Std Cab
    Here is some pics. Specs on this exhaust is LCE street header to a 2.25in exhaust size free flow cat to free flow muffler to duel tail pipes, with tips that were 3in dia. by 2ft long.
    This was a very loud exhaust.. So unless you like attention I dont recommend it as a daily; I was young and dump..

3022640047_large.jpg 3022640046_large.jpg

Yota85 likes this.
  14. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    The LCE header is popular for 2wd because it's a 4-1 layout and benefits at high rpms. Doug Thorley is the other popular high end header, it's a 4-2-1 layout which is better for keeping torque at lower rpms. Stans headers is the only other 4-2-1 layout header I know of for 22r series. There are still a few other 4-1 headers out there like pacesetter, etc but these aren't reviewed high like LCE.

2-2.25" is plenty of pipe when you consider stock is like 1.5-1.75". High flow cats are an option (used one on my 4wd truck - can toss a golf ball straight through it). Muffler choice is subjective - I prefer straight through design with packing around it - so basically glass packs and magnaflow style mufflers which are like bigger glass packs.

My 4wd truck has: stock header, stock "y" from down pipe, 2" behind "y", 2" magnaflow cat, 2.25" pipe, 2.25" magnaflow muffler

My 75 has: headman header, 2.25 pipe and 2.25 flowmaster - sounds loud and obnoxious, will switch to a magnaflow style soon.

Yota85 likes this.
  15. TRUCK ACTION

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    If I remember right the LC header is the only one that is stainless & it is ceramic coated.:cool:

Last edited: May 21, 2016
    Yota85 likes this.
  16. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Lce header is a solid choice. I'm very happy with mine. I've had 8 different headers on 20/22r/re's over the years and about triple that in exhaust systems and mufflers.

Both lce headers I've had were great, the original Doug thorley was solid too. I wouldn't buy a Doug thorley now since he sold the place and they e gone to using cheaper materials. He started another manufacturer called Doug's headers that still makes high quality parts.

My favorite exhaust combinations have been stainless MagnaFlow mufflers and 2 1/4 mandrel bends. The 89 has the exhaust coming out of the bed side in front of the drivers tire and it's not obnoxious but it sounds damned good at 5k or better. :D

Yota85 and Mikerocosms like this.