1984 electrical problems. Just bought truck yesterday need help

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by da9guy, Oct 11, 2014.

1. da9guy

da9guy Member

Truck:
    1978 short bed hilux
    Ok guys so I just bought an 84 4x4 yesterday to go with my 78 2wd. 78 is getting lowered soon and 84 will be getting lifted. Anyways on the 84 the headlights only work on hi beams. On low beam they do nothing. Left turn signal blinks really fast and right turn signal doesn't work at all but the right arrow on the dash stays lit up all the time. Also the brake lights work but the tail lights don't work. I can handle most mechanical stuff but I am really no good with electrical problems. I really don't even know where to start with these issues. Does anyone have any ideas? I really need your help with this one guys. Thanks in advance.

2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    Sounds like you have burned out bulbs since the left blinker is fast that indicates one bulb is out. The right staying lit means both are probably out. The headlights are easy, the steering column switch needs the contacts cleaned. Look here under combo switch repair for the quick and dirty of it. As for the tailights etc check the bulbs first then start tracking down whether there is power to them.

3. da9guy

da9guy Member

Truck:
    1978 short bed hilux
    Ok going to go check the bulbs as soon as the sun comes up. That would be great if all these "electrical" problems turned out to be bulbs.