1982 pickup - What length are the torsion bars?

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Tuhd The Troll, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I want to drop my truck a couple inches (2" seems about right, but 3 would be nice), but I don't want to be bottoming out on the roads around here (they have random road level drops in 65+ mph zones), so I've been trying to find stronger torsion bars. Unfortunately all I can find are 84+, and there's basically no information on the net as to the length of what I have.

I've even attempted to search part numbers, but I seem to suck at finding the info, so I'm appealing to you folks.

I should also ask if this is a smart choice (upping the spring rate), or would stronger/stiffer shocks be a smarter investment for ride quality? Or am I so off the mark I should consider a completely different direction? Obviously, I'm no expert. :)

2. trackfox

trackfox Enthusiast

Truck:
    77 longbed
    :bump:

im also interested in this. i would like a stiffer ride and to be as low as possible(like Ahshiet) and not just having 0 downward suspension travel. coilovers may be the best choice, but what are other options?

i think most people do bags or just deal with no suspension (like Ahshiet) could be fun for a while but might get old. i may just take out the torsion bars to begin with, so i can put them back in. rather then letting it get torn out...

off topic does any one with mini trucks put skid plates? i want to...

3. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    dang, I was hoping the reply was an answer ;)

At this point it seems smarter to upgrade/swap out the upper and lower A-arms and all associated hardware with '84+ and throw on some drop spindles. This keeps the steering and suspension geometry without going all spongy (though stiffer shocks may still be required due to the ground being much closer to the frame). From what I've found around the net there aren't any mentions of usable stiffer replacement torsions for these years unless you have them custom made.

I've also been toying with cuttilating and weldifying the stock lower arms to accept lower ball joints that work with 84+ drop spindles (ball joint under spindle mount instead of above, like in the 84+), but this will be a research project that likely won't happen until next summer. Just moving from a below arm to an above arm lower ball joint should net roughly an inch and a half drop on the '83 and below depending on how it's done, even before attempting to use drop spindles, but it WILL require cutting and/or fabbing (including a mod to the drop-out bump stop so you don't rip your shocks apart when you fly over a jump and the suspension drops out)

4. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    Stiffer shocks will help loosing the bars does create a soft ride so bottoming out would be a problem I have a 88 torsion bar in my garage I can measure if that would point u somewhere for a start

5. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    If you read thru my entire build thread I get sway a way t-bars for my 82, swap to a 84+ suspension, drop spindles on then I took em off.

Anything is possible with the 79-83 suspension. It just was a find of a lifetime to find SAW bars on amazon.com for my truck for 150 bucks new.

6. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
    I found the answer on torsion bar lengths!

Toyota - Sway-A-Way

If the link ever dies, here's the important info:

1979-1983 2wd Pickup (Dia. 25MM Length 35 1/4") [model SAW1626]
    1984-1997 2wd Pickup (Dia. 25MM Length 35 1/8") [model SAW1636]

I should thank Raffelli for posting the model number in his build thread.

So, Thank you, Rafelli.

7. Tuhd The Troll

Tuhd The Troll Veteran

Truck:
    1982 SR5
  8. fred.d.k

fred.d.k Enthusiast

Good to know! Added to my wish list.