1978 20r Exhaust manifold

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Bayunco, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Bayunco

Bayunco Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Hilux
    Hello guys,
    I know you will get me out of this one again.
    I'm overhauling my 1978 20R engine and my exhaust manifold is cracked and making crazy noises. do you have any ideas where I could find a new manifold in southern california?.
    Thanks for your help.
    Bayunco

2. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    go with a header or use a pre85 celica mani with the twin downpipes makes a little more mid range power

3. Bayunco

Bayunco Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Hilux
    so you think it it will fit???
    I just went down to one of those salvage yards and they told me that even the 1980 20r mani won't fit.
    and now you mention a pre 85 celica???
    Please pardon my lack of knowledge.

4. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    which one 77/78/79/81[r.i.p]82 sbrc driftbox, and a CeliLux/current daily= 79 sbrc [lil' blue]
    the manifold from a celica prior to 1985 will bolt on directly just make sure to get the downpipe also in the case of my 81truck i had a short downpipe made from my celica one it had a 2.5 inch collector the celica one [and later81-84 2wd trucks] have twin downpipes older ones only have one if you can find a downpipe from a 81-84 2wd truck bolt it to the celica [82-84 22re prefered] manifold and it should fit your 78 perfectly[yours is the double headlight model correct]

5. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    if you use the celica manifold leave the tin cover on it [easier for you to pass tech inspection cause it looks no different from a stock manifold but it will give the power of a mild 4-2-1 header] i know you westcoasters got a lot of hoops to jump through, this will be one way to make a little more power without raising eyebrows

6. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    i think pre 84 4wd trucks will work too [also has twin downpipes-on 22r/re models]

7. Bayunco

Bayunco Newbie

Truck:
    1978 Hilux
    Thanks Riceratyota,
    you are very helpful, passing smog is one of my biggest concerns, but I'll let my mechanic know what you said.
    I appreciate your input.
    WC

8. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    You should stay with 20R exhaust manifolds (up to 1981?). Early 22R manifolds are known to have a cracking problem. The problem was believed to be caused by the heater chamber that surrounds the manifold which is why the later 22R have a different, more open style of intake air heater box.

Also, be careful about manifolds with twin down pipes. My 79 Celica came with a manifold with twin down pipes but the manifold is just a big hollow chamber with two exits, not a true 4-2-1 exhaust manifold.

9. riceratyota

riceratyota Veteran

Truck:
    yes the early 22r cracked if he gets a 82-84 22re celica he should be good to go and the cracking was due to no flexpipe in the system when the exhaust hangers rust off the weight of the entire exhaust hangs on the mani causing the cracks

10. michellemock

michellemock Newbie

How did you fix your manifold problem? I have the same truck, 78 pickup long-bed, just put new heads on it, but now the manifold is acting up. Thought that would have been taken care of when they had the head off, but I don't know, cause I'm just a dumb girl :(

11. Erick561

Erick561 Veteran

I ship from New London County CT I Price Match
    Truck:
    79 Toyota Hilux 4WD WHEELING DAILY DRIVER
    i have a 20R manifold for sale

12. taswift

taswift Member

Truck:
    76 Hilux
    Would otherwise take the heat shield off? I'm switching my manifold and was wondering how much the heat shield works, also switching to a weber. Thoughts?