18r to 22r alt swap

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by dillinja666, Feb 22, 2010.

1. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    Im swaping in a 22r into my 73 hilux. I need to use the alternator off the 22R since the brackets are shaped differently. Does anybody know what wires to splice to what on the 22r connector? The connector on the 22r alt is round, the connector on the 18r is rectangle. thanks!

2. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    just use the 18rc alt on the 22r ;)

i did it in my wagon, works fine.

but i cant remember if i used the 18rc or 22r upper bracket, but used the 22r lower bracket.

here is a installed pic of a stock 74 18rc alt on a 22r block...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  3. standardbyker88

standardbyker88 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    78 lolux and an 89 ramcharger
    what did you run on the wheeler, a saturn one? i know you told me about how to wire late model high output ones in. i have a 130 from a cop car. id just have to put a groove pulley on in place of the serp belt pulley

4. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    how did you hook up the distributor and coil? i have a plug with 2 wires coming out of the distributor. The 18r coil has just one wire going to the distributor and a ballast or something on it.

After i get that figured out i just need to figure out the throttle linkage to a webber carb and them she's a runner :)

5. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    so i guess to make my distributor work i will need the 85 coil and little ignition control module... unless someone knows a way around that. I have the coil from the 73 body right now, am i going to need the coil and ignition module for the motor i have?

6. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    ya the wheeler "had" a 96 saturn SC1 alt, 90amp at idle.

but now im putting in a caddy cs144 alt, the saturn alt wasnt up to snuff with the new fan and lights on at the same time.

dillinja-

the reason your having issues, is the car is setup for points not a electronic ignition. you could go find a pre 78 20r distributor (with points) and use the 18r coil/ignitor. or get a ignitor of the same year as your dizzy (does make a difference) then use the old or new coil (same thing) and re wire it.

7. dillinja666

dillinja666 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I gots no truck, for now
    ok well i found a coil and control module for a 1985 toyota pickup for 30$... i think that is the year of the motor im putting in. if i get that should i just be able to apply power to the "control module" and everthing should work??