Why Retrofit?

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by YOguyDA, Dec 28, 2013.

1. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Universal Headlights | Dapper Lighting

Anyone have any experience with these? Or want to comment on them?

I noticed that Taiwan is producing universal projector housings... And i ran across this site selling them out of northern CA.

Waaay over priced, BUT retrofitting headlights should have been a thing of the past loong ago, at least for a simple 7x6 or 7" round headlight.

Oh yeah, they sell taillights too...for '89+ pickups

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. White Trash

White Trash Toyotaholic

Truck:
    89 auto cross beater
    If those are true projectors that isn't a terrible price.

3. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    Yeah, they're real projectors... I wouldn't post about those fake projector housings sold on ebay, lol.

The price isn't terrible, but it isn't low enough to stop me from making my own.... especially when they're probably being imported for maybe $60 a pair?

They have a gallery of pics w/ cut off lines and all that.

4. Blitz

Blitz Enthusiast

Truck:
    It's not a Toyota
    Interesting. Cut offs tell part of the real story. I'd be interested to see how far the light was projected also.

5. dapperlighting

dapperlighting Newbie

Saw a bunch of traffic coming from this thread so I figured I'd come on and see if anyone had any questions. The truth about these lights are that compared to stock, they are a great upgrade. A real retrofit using some OEM projectors is going to be much different. These lights retain almost the same dimensions as a stock sealed beam and that's really the market we cater towards. Everything is a plug and play replacement and installs just like a stock bulb.

In terms of pricing, I wish they cost us $60. We sell to a handful of larger companies and have to maintain a certain pricing structure. We obviously can't advertise lower than them so our prices are generally higher. I can always offer discounts for groups though. The thought behind the pricing was: a decent projector ($120) + cheap housing ($30) + wiring ($20) + epoxy, etc ($10). So for $80-90 more, you get a fully manufactured kit plus we offer a 5 year warranty (on most kits).

We do have other kits that are in the lower price range ($120-199) for the 7" and 4x6/5.75"

We do have some new 7" Classic V2s that are comparable to retrofits. The pricing is high because supply is still limited.

PS: If anyone is looking for 7x6", I have a TON of stock of both black and chrome kits. You can email me for a coupon code on those guys.

Let me know if you have any questions. Dapper Lighting started as just a bunch of car enthusiasts so we're here to help and answer any questions.

Thanks!

Ben
    [email protected]

6. dapperlighting

dapperlighting Newbie

Let me know which picture you're referring to and I can tell you the distance.

Just got this in from a customer running the 7" Classic Chromes with a 35W 5000K HID kit.

[​IMG]

7. DjMjD

DjMjD Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 base
    I am interested in a pair. My headlights are way too dim. I was going to buy a kit that I would have to mod myself and it would be close to $300. If you have a plug and play kit I would be very interested.