What to do first

Discussion in 'Wheels/Tires' started by Avery Rucker, Sep 28, 2018.

?

Wheels or suspension

1. Buy wheels and tires first

66.7%
  2. Buy my lowering kit and drop it 2/3 inches

33.3%
  1. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Trying to figure out what makes the most sense. Do I get my wheels and tires selected and put on then proceed to lowering it or lower it and then find wheels that fit that setup?

Thanks

2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Second option

3. jjmartinez1987

jjmartinez1987 Member

Truck:
    1995 Pickup
    wheels first.

4. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Anyone else want to give an opinion?

5. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    depends on what you want. Do you want to show off some fatty chrome, or do you want to lay frame. Basically when you drop, there will be wheel clearance issues, so if you want to show off wheels, get them and see what you can do to lower. If you want to drag pinecones, then drop your ride and see what wheels will fit. Just my thoughts.

6. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Thanks for the great answer. Looking at it from that perspective I guess the wheels should come first. It will be a DD so I have zero intention on throwing Sparks or laying frame. A modest drop to clean up the look is what I'm going for.

7. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    From my experience and doing this many times, get the wheel and tires first. This gives you a starting point and give you the measurements you will want for a drop. When it come to the drop you can do drop spindles good for 2", dropped lower control arms good for 3" or a ball joint flip good for 2"-3". All depends on your budget. For the rear get steel blocks and or belltech drop leaves or use stock 89-95 4x4 leaves good for 2"-3" drop. As I said been down the road many times and spent money twice so learn from my mistakes. Take your time and research what you want. For a daily 3/4 is perfect on 17" wheels. Buy good shocks that meet your drop. Also where you located, there might be some locals to help you out and show you there setups.

8. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    I'm convinced, wheels are tires it is. Thanks for the great insight. I appreciate the feedback.

9. Perkolator

Perkolator Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1975 Hilux
    Must my $0.02....I'd do as much hand calculation as possible, then get wheels/tires first. My situation is a little different since I don't have stock size wheels/tires currently (17" takeoffs from a Mustang). I bought my wheels before the parts to lower my truck, anticipating that my current wheel/tire combo will not fit once lowered. Good thing because the tires definitely wouldn't have cleared. Currently I'm still cleaning up my wheels before getting tires to complete the install. If I had stock wheels, I'd have lowered it first, then bought wheels/tires to fit that new stance.

10. Avery Rucker

Avery Rucker Member

Truck:
    92 Toyota pickup base
    Makes sense. I've found a set of mustang wheels that I like. Now I just have to make the drive to get them.