Water pump replacement

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by Easyrider1269, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Easyrider1269

Easyrider1269 Newbie

Hello all,

I have a new water pump to install on my 78 pickup. I don't want to remove the radiator. Is it possible to replace it without removing the radiator? I can't see the bolts that release the fan from the fan clutch.

If you have replaced your pump, can you give me some tips...

Thanks!

2. MacRib

MacRib Enthusiast

Truck:
    90 4runner, 94 standard cab, 90 standard cab STOLEN
    Remove the radiator

Just some friendly advice... Removing the radiator makes it a lot easier to work on and gives you tons more room to move around. You might also consider taking the fan clutch off while the belt is keeping tension on the water pump pulley and keeping it from moving. Trying to take the fan clutch off of the pump with the pump off the motor is a little awkward unless you have a vise or something, everything is moving around. It may seem like more work in the beginning, but the end result is you have access to the entire front of the motor and you lessen the chances of damaging the radiator with your elbows and stuff. Which ever way you choose, good luck and have some fun with it!

3. toy_boy

toy_boy Addict

Truck:
    1979 Toyota 4x4
    Absolutely agree with MacRib. Also, remove the bolts very carefully, especially if this is the first time the pump is being replaced. Don't over tighten them either. If at all possible use a torque wrench when putting it all back together.

I snapped a couple of bolts, and what a headache it turned out to be.

4. Easyrider1269

Easyrider1269 Newbie

I just replaced the pump today. Thanks for the tips, but I did not have to remove the radiator or even the fan shroud. The fan is attached to the fan clutch with eight bolts and the fan clutch is attached to the water pump with four bolts. That's it. Unlike other fan clutches, there isn't one big nut that needs to be turned opposite thread with a special tool.

The whole job from start to finish including a 60 MPH run on the freeway took 45 minutes. Eazy money....

Peace out!

5. MacRib

MacRib Enthusiast

Truck:
    90 4runner, 94 standard cab, 90 standard cab STOLEN
    Right on man, glad you're back on the road!