Turning an RV cab back into a truck cab..

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by celica-fiend, Mar 25, 2019.

1. celica-fiend

celica-fiend Member

Truck:
    73 Hilux Longbox
    So I ended up with a '78 ex-Chinook cab on frame the other day.. The cabs in far better shape than the other 2 mostly-rust cabs (one RV, one '73 pickup) Id collected.. but of course, has the giant hole cut in the back.

Just wondering if anyone else here has turned an RV back into a truck cab.. any if there are any tips or tricks you figured out along the way..

Current plan, as the roof on this cab is semi-fucked where the camper wore through it, is to cut the roof and rear off my other cab and try and graft it in semi-prettily as a complete unit.

Any info appreciated..

thanks,
    Brett

2. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    Ive just cut down the tub on my ute, the process wasnt to bad, But I did spend alot of time marking it out and thinking about where to cut it. That is the most diffcult part, the cutting and welding is easy if you get that right.
    If it were my project I would cut throught the windsceen pillars and through the floor. I use vinyl application tape that I cut down to about a foot wide to mark out the floor and sides of my tub, it work well as the width ensured everything is straght.