transmission interchange

Discussion in 'Engine/Drivetrain' started by Benno, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Benno

Benno Newbie

Truck:
    81 diesel pickup
    Hey folks ... Do any of you know whether the 5 speed transmission from an 85 2WD extra cab will bolt up to my 81 diesel also a 5 speed? I have no idea what model number transmissions they are, nor how to tell. Thanks in advance for any advice! Ben

2. 74RN22

74RN22 Enthusiast

Truck:
    1974 RN22 Hilux
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't know if this will help you, but here goes.

3. Benno

Benno Newbie

Truck:
    81 diesel pickup
  4. fred heath

fred heath Addict

Truck:
    1978 Toyota Galavan Motorhome.
    3A7CF108-7050-429A-84AE-C72AA6D537C4.jpeg
    You should have an ID plate under the hood that gives you engine, trans, rear axle and paint code. Attached is from my 1978. In my case I have the L43 4 speed.

5. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    They changed them around about that time, so maybe. If the 85 also a diesel then yes it will bolt on but there may be issues with where the gear stick comes up through the floor.
    If it's out of a petrol maybe. You can swap bell housings but there are 2 different types. the early ones have a perfectly circular flange hole in bell housing. the later ones are an odd shape like a "B" almost
    If you have the 85 out it will be easy to spot
    That assumes that the gearbox hasn't be changed in the past...
    Mine has an old Celica gearbox behind the diesel, it had a four seed in it just changed the bell housing and it bolted straight up apart from the hole in the floor, which i moved!

6. Benno

Benno Newbie

Truck:
    81 diesel pickup
    Helpful information, Fred, Thanks. My plate is slightly different. I found corresponding info for the earlier plate. I have an L52 transmission. The transmission is not out of the 85 yet, but if Mr Liquid's suggestion of the bell housing swap is all I need, then I will keep the 85 tranny as a spare. The rest of the vehicle is available for parts for anyone else. Will be posting the 85 in classifieds soon.

Thanks for your great help you guys!

Attached Files:

74RN22 likes this.
  7. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    There is some great info here http://www.retrotech.co.nz/Tech/Toyota-boxes.php
    Mine had and L40 4speed and the 5speed a "W " gearbox or number 2 in the picture bolted straight in, after a bell housing swap.
    The L52 is a gearbox I've never seen here in NZ or Aussie and looks like the bell housing is not removable.
    https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f114/how-tear-into-l52-transmission-241408/
    Hiluxs over here have either the steel case or the alloy case, the bell housing can not be swapped between the gearboxes.
    You can, however, swap the bell housing for different engines, if that makes sense.
    To answer your question yes it will bolt in if you have the diesel bell housing for that gearbox. Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.24.11 am.png Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.30.40 am.png Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.24.11 am.png Screen Shot 2020-04-18 at 8.30.40 am.png

8. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Newbie

L45 & L52 transmissions have an aluminum top cover bolted to a cast iron case AND THE BELL HOUSING IS NOT REMOVABLE. Further the bell housing part of the case is only HALF of the bell housing with the rest either part of the motor or attached to the motor. If the rest is part of the motor, then ONLY the L45 & L52 will fit. Otherwise, you MIGHT be able to bolt something else up, but since I never worked on Toyota vehicles I have no clue what if anything works.

9. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    I believe the diesel and 22R have the same bolt pattern, swapping a diesel into a 22R powered truck is a bolt on swap. Your concern would likely be the shifter if it's not the same distance from the block. Another concern could be the gearing. The '81 has shorter torsion bars so the crossmember may not be at the proper distance to use the '85s mounts. The driveline can be short or long as well. A tape measure can be a really good friend!