Trailer Hitch

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Aircooled, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Aircooled

Aircooled Member

Truck:
    81 Pickup, 83 Pickup
    I have a 81 Pickup and was wondering about my options for a trailer hitch? Anybody have a hitch on their Yota?

2. 1982rn34

1982rn34 Addict

Truck:
    1982 SR5 RN34
    I have a Smittybuilt dual tube bumper on my truck with a trailer hitch. There are also the frame mounted ones.

Hope this helps!

3. Aircooled

Aircooled Member

Truck:
    81 Pickup, 83 Pickup
    I'm looking for a frame mounted one since I hate bumpers. I can't find any. I might just have to get one made or try to do it myself. Probably base of off this MGA Trailer Hitch - build your own

4. Aircooled

Aircooled Member

Truck:
    81 Pickup, 83 Pickup
    Is there a difference between how and where the bumpers mount on 84 pickups compared to 81 pickups? They make trailer hitches for 84 Toyotas wondering if that would work for my 81.

5. Echonova

Echonova Newbie

I have a DrawTite on my '79. No idea if it was meant for the truck or not, as it was on the truck when I bought it. But works great for hauling my lawnmower around on the trailer. Well, after I flipped the receiver upside down. I'll head out in a bit and see if it has a Model #

[​IMG]

6. Echonova

Echonova Newbie

7. Racersk

Racersk Member

They are out there- go frame mounted for sure. I got mine on Craigslist for $50.

8. 22R88

22R88 Veteran

Truck:
    1988 Reg Cab Deluxe RN50
    I have a Draw Tite just like Echonova's on my 88 Std Cab. One thing is for sure it will save you some major damage in a moderate rear end collision. I have been hit twice and it saved major damage. I also keep the big reciever hitch in too now to make sure that it goes through the oncoming cars bumper to help as well. Very solid hitch that bolts to the frame of the truck made of heavy steel.

9. Aircooled

Aircooled Member

Truck:
    81 Pickup, 83 Pickup
  10. Racersk

Racersk Member

I want to get a tow 'hook' in mine! Not only stop the car that rear ends you, it'll also gut out the rad and hood too!. Call it an anti-tailgate device!
    :headbang:

11. davidg1228

davidg1228 Member

Truck:
    1981 Toyota Pickup Long Bed 5sp
    Tow hitch Question

Hey, thank you for giving me hope that there is a mounted hitch out there that will fit my 1981. By any chance did you ever get a model number? Or would you be so kind to take measurements and share them. Thanks in advance!!

-David

12. YOguyDA

YOguyDA Addict

Truck:
    1986 Regular Cab
    I've seen 89-95 rear bumpers mounted on 84-88 trucks....And i mounted a smittybuilt rear bumper on my '81 4wd that came off of my dads '86 4wd.

So, i'm sure they will all mount up ('79-'95) maybe even Tacomas???

13. Racersk

Racersk Member

79-95 have similar enough fram dimensions that most items 'bolt' on from the 84 and up pre- Tacoma's. The Tacoma's are too different to say what fits and what doesn't. kinda like the differences between the 78 and earlier and the 79 and ups.

The bumpers and hitches are close enough so that you will only need to drill some holes or fab up some plates-like some rectangles made from 1/8-3/16 mild steel is plenty or go with 2" angle and bolt to the sides and bottom of the frame - and always use grade 8 or metric equivalent to mount this kinda stuff!-even better weld those brackets up to the frame when your done-make sure the bumper or hitch is unboltable though.

14. davidg1228

davidg1228 Member

Truck:
    I was wondering what type of hitches would fit my 81 2wd. Luckly I found one but it was for a 4x4 and the hitch was sitting really low. I have been looking and looking and I finally found the one i needed. I came off of a 2000's tacoma pre-runner. It is a curt model. I will post a picture tomorrow when there is enough day light to get a good look. For the time being, here is the link..

http://www.curtmfg.com/part/13013#tab=accessories

I found mine on craigslist for only $100.00.

If anyone is interested in my old one which is for a 4X4, i am asking $100 shipped anywhere in the US. Let me know.

15. davidg1228

davidg1228 Member

Truck:
    Here are some pictures of the new tow hitch just wanted to share :eek: also, I did have to drill new hole on the tow hitch it self... i could have drilled into the frame but the hitch is softer metal then the frame. It took my about 15-20 minutes to complete so not a big deal.

TowHitch1.jpg

TowHitch4.jpg

TowHitch5.jpg

16. rick

rick Newbie

Curt 13013 hitch worked for my 83 toyota pick up...and it seems to work for the 81 in the post above mine. So i'm thinking it fits all toyotas from 81-83 and probably a few years before and after those as well. I dont know why the manufacturers dont have those years listed. IT FITS!!! BUT WHEN YOU ENTER THIS MODEL #13013 AND THEN ENTER YOUR OLD TOYOTA...LIKE SAY AN 83'...IT SAYS THIS WILL NOT FIT YOUR VEHICLE...WELL...IT DOES!!! I hope this help. I know what a mission it is to find a hitch for this truck.