Traded for a '77 Pickup

Discussion in '1976-1983 Build-Up/Project Threads' started by ChOpPeD~N~DROPped, Apr 22, 2008.

1. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

ChOpPeD~N~DROPped Enthusiast

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    Yep, I traded my 4runner for a 1977 Toyota pickup, 20R. Pretty much all original and it runs damn good! I'll take pictures of it and post them soon. My cousin wanted a 4x4 and I've been trying to get this truck from him for some time now so I made the offer and he said yeah. It's in pretty rough condition, rusted out in several areas, my grandmothers husband used it as his hunting truck and then gave it to my cousin. Well here are my plans with it......... I dunno if i'm gonna bag it yet or not, probably gonna do a body of restoration on it. But I wanna make it a hot rod. I've gonna an extra 22re block sitting around that I bought about a year ago, I'm gonna put it to use. Maybe bore it, put some higher compression pistons, 20R head with 22re valves ported and polished, bigger cam, double row timing chain w/ adjustable cam gear, side drafts, electronic ignition, exhaust, etc, etc.. I'm probably gonna get this truck tagged and insured after I get it looking descent(my cousin half ass primered it and sprayed some nasty red paint on it and ran out of paint) and just drive it around until I get the short block built up. What do you guys think?

2. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Hell, thats sounds hella kewl, can't wait to see the truck and see the progress, Ill be starting on mine soon. Im half tempted to make a custom sport ( reinforce the cab, chop the top, and join the bed and cab ) :rolleyes:

3. patriotpop

patriotpop Addict

Truck:
    94 2wd
    Dam if I only had the time and money to do what you guys are doing. I have a hard enough time keeping this one up and getting it ready for shows. The alternator took a dump and I'm waiting for the new 160 amp to come in. It's always something!! :cool:

4. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    yea, no kidding, thats the only reason I haven't hooked up my other compressor yet because I know as soon as I do my alternator will die and I don't have the money to spend on a new one at the moment.

5. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:

. . . Being not married or having a house payment burdoning me down its easier to afford my toys for my Toy :) , that said it still takes some saving and planning to try and get these projects saved up for and bought. And, being that I have no other hobbies, I find myself able to focuse on these, all I can say is save-save-save, even trading and Ebay can bring some cash if you have the patience. That said, I can't wait to see that '77 of yours running around. Patriotpop, youve done a fantastic job on your ride as well, and I enjoy seeing the pictures and reading your posts. " See ya guys ina week VACATION TIME 4 me "

6. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    Ok, well I figured I would update this thread, I put a new battery and some gas in the truck yesterday and it fired right up, it had been sitting for about a year but there was no hesitation getting it started. I took some pictures of it today so tell me what you guys think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    [​IMG]
    Rust in the floor, one of the main places
    [​IMG]
    The old faithful 20R, Looks like hell but runs like it's brand new!
    [​IMG]

Yea, he got a little crazy with that red spray paint but it will all come together in the end. My first goal it getting those front fenders off, they flap in the wind at the bottom because the place they bolt to is rusted out completely. and getting all of the rust patched up, I think I'm gonna static drop it a bit just restore it and build the hell out of the engine. So tell me your opinions!:D

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  8. smctoy

smctoy Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 xcab...
    Awesome project!! :D

9. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Awesome, glad you posted up pictures . . . Ima get my pics up ina new build section real soon. . . Ill be driving my lil beater while I bag my 87', that'll happen next month, everything is just now arriving! Then mine is getting static drop and about the same direction as yours, I like what you have planned, and totally love the picture of your 2 project trucks/daily drivers side by side. . .

10. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    sweet :D

careful with those lower fender bolts, my PO broke all 4 on both fenders and had some tape holding them on:mad:

also check out my write up for a electric ignition swap.

and if you take apart the grill remember the emblem is held on with screws that are kinda hidden but just about every one ive found has the lil screw hole tabs broken off, and if your lights are out the whole F'n grill has to come off to replace and or adjust the lights:mad:

id also look under that bed liner, the beds on these trucks will rust away over night

11. Nook

Nook Addict

12. ChOpPeD~N~DROPped

Truck:
    94 Extended cab
    Thanks for the info, as for the lower part of fenders they're bolted to nothing, well I guess the remains of what they originally bolted to, lol. They're kinda just blowing in the wind. I plan on cutting out the bad pieces the making some new panels for them to bolt to. Does anyone know where i can get a new cowl for it? or any replacement body parts at all? And for the electronic ignition, I've been trying to find info about that? I just realized yesterday that it had a points type ignition when I pulled the distributor cap off. But I definately want to do the electronic ignition because points tend to wear out and cause problems. and about that bedliner, I'm gonna ditch it as and the tool box soon as I get a chance.

13. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    i got a write up for the electronic ignition swap here in this section.

never seen any replacement body parts but you might get lucky on ebay or craigslist

14. OGtoy

OGtoy Enthusiast

Truck:
    93 std cab 22re
    drop a newwww motor in there!! good project!

15. attackeagle

attackeagle Newbie

i bought new fenders, new grill halves, and new apron and chrome front bumper. This was about 1996 though, from a body panel place that advertised in minitruckin or truckin'.

So at one point there WERE aftermarket panels out there.

16. randomxzero

randomxzero Member

whoah

Lucky!!!!!