Too much oil PSI, remedies???

Discussion in 'Maintenance/Repair' started by 88Sandshark, Jul 30, 2009.

1. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Should have kept... '88 4x4 22RE
    Okay, the oil leak my truck has is due to too much oil pressure. I had the PCV valve replaced two days ago and it's still too high. My dad recommended that I replace the EGR valve, will that fix it? Anyone who knows a remedy, please help me.

Thank you in advance.

2. trap

trap Addict

Truck:
    92 pickup
  3. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    how much oil pressure are you getting at idle?? what is it reading at 3000 rpm's?

what weight oil and brand are you running?

4. 98tacoma27

98tacoma27 Newbie

Truck:
    05 SR5 Tundy, 88 single cab SR5 22RE
    X2

It is possible that the relief valve is stuck, if you are indeed getting too much pressure.

5. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    I don't have a pressure guage installed (non-SR5), but when I had the PCV replaced, the mechanic who's a friend of my uncle removed the oil cap and oil droplets shot up at his hand that was touching my hood with the engine running. He did say that the engine is getting "tired" due to the high mileage and that when my head gasket blew did not help with prolonging its life. I'm gonna try testing the EGR later today or this weekend and see if it's functioning correctly...

6. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    BTW
    10W-40, the mechanic said to try 20W-50 with the next oil change.

7. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
  8. Flashmn

Flashmn Member

20W-50 would actually increase oil pressure, pressure is the result of the restriction of the oil paths in the engine. The thinner the oil, the less pressure you'd get.

9. 93Yoter

93Yoter Addict

Truck:
    93 std. cab deluxe
    your mechanic is a moron if he rec 20w-50 if you want to not have any oil flow that's a good idea otherwise 10w40 is the thickest you should go.....THICKER OIL DOES NOT EQUAL BETTER PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!! Most motor oil is too thick to flow/lubricate effectively which is why 0w-XX weights are coming into higher use.

also unless the mechanic did a leak down test and a compression test it's impossible for him to say your motor is "tired" a bhg does not automatically mean your motor is screwed......

your oil pressure I'm sure is fine that would be something that rarely goes out.....

I doubt it's your egr too since you can block it off and not have any problems with oil

your truck is probably fine...

do you have any oil in your intake? is your exhaust blue? if not your motor is probably fine

These trucks have pretty poor baffles in the valve cover, and a little divit right under the oil fill has a tendency to hold a little oil. If you run it with the oil cap off oils going to shoot out of there. The oil is being sprayed onto the cam which is spinning very quickly spraying oil all over the place and if there is an opening the oil will find its way out.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  10. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    ALL 2xrs will do this out of the box, these arnt american motors.

you can get a bolt on oil gauge from your local McAutoparts for under $20.

you should only be using 10-30 unless you live in a extreme in vironment or have a bad oil leak.

if its that bad you should fix it.

where is said oil leak?

i can tell you where it is if you clean your motor then drive it for a day or two and snap a pic or two.

11. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Oil leak's coming from the Dipstick area. I'm going to order a new tube and dipstick from my aunt and uncle's auto parts store later.

The mechanic who tried to fix it with the PCV is the same one who replaced my head and gaskets.

Exhaust is transparent, no color, and a little bit of oil in the intake, (mentioned in The Black Goop thread)

Very hot where I live (SoCal), I'm running 10w-40, have a guage, just want the adapter to still use the warning light. I want to swap an SR5 cluster later, I'm just broke.

12. TRUCK ACTION

TRUCK ACTION Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 Extracab,2wd
    I've been running 20-50 GTX in all my vehicles for over 20 years!
    LC Engineering recommends this weight in my Pro Street EFI!
    No problems,as this is the correct weight for Cail.,cooler areas may want lighter weights! :cool:

13. Blue Coyote

Blue Coyote Newbie

Truck:
    85 4runner SR5 & 84 4x4 p/u
    Step 1 - find a new mechanic - the one you have been using is just taking $ from you.
    Too high oil PSI - with out a gauge reading this is speculation. Oil drops coming out of the oil fill hole with the engine running is normal, with an open filler there will be no vaccuum. And oil PSI has nothing to do with oil spray. Nor does oil PSI have anything to do with the EGR valve. Nor does oil PSI have any thing to do with and gasket other than the front and rear main seal. Next thing he will claim is you have the wrong tail light bulbs (see where this is going?)
    Do not buy any parts until you diagnose the problem. These are very simple engines. So lets DIAGNOSE the problem first...
    Is the engine clean? Are there oil leaks? If you have to put a piece of cardboard under the truck at nite to see where the drips are coming from.
    Do that tommorow nite and report back with you findings.

14. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    He didn't charge me for the second patch job on it.

I know that it's not a main seal. It's coming from the area where the dipstick enters the block. I was already told that the oil spray is common for 22REs by other members, so I'm just trying to find the fix so I can lower my spending on oil every month.

15. Blue Coyote

Blue Coyote Newbie

Truck:
    That was sure nice of him...

If it is just a leak around the dipstick you can easily fix this. Clean off all the dirt from around the dip stick. Remove the upper mounting bolt and pull the dipstick from the block. Clean off all the oil / dirt. Apply a THIN coat of sealer to the portion of the dipstick that goes into the block and re-assemble.

16. SD YOTA

SD YOTA Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    2000 Toyota Tacoma 2wd
    X2..... you should be able to handle this. REAL easy fix. :waytogo:

like previously mentioned...... "too much oil pressure" without proper diagnostic tools like a pressure gauge reading the PSI itself IS NOTHING MORE THAN SPECULATION!!! :rolleyes2:

if you are having allot of oil leaks, wash the motor down REAL good. make sure to cover essential electricals..... it will be easier to diagnose oil leaks with a clean block. :waytogo:

these motors were built by toyota back then......... not NASA :waytogo:

17. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Also check your distibutor seal... Mine leaks and trickles down where the dipstick meets the block, makin it look like its leaking form there...

I've changed the O-ring twice and it still leaks, maybe cause i keep messing with the timing so much... :evil: Oh well it don't bother me at all, it's not enough oil loss to sweat for...

18. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Distributor fine, no leaks. Whenever I get the cash, I'm going to order a new O-Ring and Dipstick tube, seal it with high-heat silicone and hopefully that'll do the trick.

Wish me luck... My income is very small.

19. Blue Coyote

Blue Coyote Newbie

Truck:
    If your distributor Oring is not leaking the leave it alone. You do not need a new dipstick tube - your existing one will be just fine.
    DO NOT use silicone! Oil will cause silicone to break down and then do all kinds of damage to your motor. A cheap tube of Permtex will work just fine. You can do this all for under $5.

20. 88Sandshark

88Sandshark Toyotaholic

Truck:
    Not an o-ring for the distributor, my dad said that there should be one for the dipstick and to get one of those. I'll get some of that Permtex and test it when I get the money. I'm broke.:(