tinting windows????

Discussion in 'Exterior/Body' started by burnzya, May 19, 2009.

1. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    has anyone had any luck tinting windows yourself using the tint available at local parts stores? i want to tint the hilux windows (to extend the life of the new seat) but not sure if its worth doing it myself. i tried once before when i was like 14 and it turned out terrible.... any suggestions?

2. IBeSeeN

IBeSeeN Addict

Truck:
    89 Toyota
    i am going to have mine done by a shop here in town... after i replace my glass or find some way of repairing Key scratches in it... i hate dumb ppl that like to destroy peoples stuff.... i think the ppl that had the truck before me did it themselves i have a few bubbles but if you take your time you could probably do a decent job

3. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i was thinking about taking the glass loose from the doors and rear rubber, and tinting the entire peice.

4. IBeSeeN

IBeSeeN Addict

Truck:
    89 Toyota
    yeah i am thinking about getting one of those lexan rear windows mine has big pit marks from rocks hitting it because the ghetto gas spout situation

5. johnpaul

johnpaul Member

Truck:
    92 xcab 2.4
    i want a lexan rear window for my 92 extcab were can i get one thanks in advance

6. FOKAI

FOKAI Veteran

Truck:
    84 truck, 05 4Runner
    Measure twice and cut once. Be sure to clean your glass very very good. If possible do it in a garage. Even better if you can take the windows off the truck. I would buy a good name brand tint like 3M, Solargard, Johnsonfilms, etc. The others would fade faster.

7. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    thanks! i'll go one better and do it on my coffee table! where can i buy the "good brands"? i don't think i've seen them at the auto stores...

8. FOKAI

FOKAI Veteran

Truck:
    84 truck, 05 4Runner
    I get my tint through a local tint shop here but not all tint shops will sell you just the tint. Shop around I'm sure you'll find one. Always use a new blade edge when you are cutting the tint. Take your time when you cut and I can't stress enough to clean your glass.

9. lownloud

lownloud Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1987 Toyota 2wd JT4RN50 Airbagged custom
    Dude, your teling me you can build the lowest yota ive seen without doubting yourself, but you get sqeemish on tinted WTH! LOL JK man! What you can also do is practice on single pane glass available at many hardware stores or practice on the garage windows or something. Best advice I can tell ya is work with quality tint and distilled water with baby shampoo, dont try and cheat and use window cleaner itll purple most tints hella bad after about 6 months or so. Check out tint.com and do some reading, believe it or not expert tinters have forums and exchange opinions on tints and such, I get lost reading all of it. I just use good metallic tints and make sure the surface is hella clean and lint free . . .

10. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    :funnyup::ROFL: yeah.... it's true. if its metal i can handle it. if its not i'm not sure how to do it:lol:

11. Creepy Cruiser

Creepy Cruiser Enthusiast

Truck:
    65 Cadi Hearse
    Another really cool trick is:

If you do pull all the glass (which I do highly recommend to get the best job), then just run the tint long on all the outside edges, about a 1/4" or so and let it dry real good (over night). The come back with a fine flat file and file all the edges (starting from the inside and file outward), very carefully all the way around. This will cut the tint and give you a perfect edge all the way along the glass :waytogo: and you won't have that little bit that is usually untinted at most shops when you roll the windows down part way :shrug:. (I hATE THAT :mad:)

You can get a nice looking job with the cheaper tints (from an auto parts store or walmart), but it won't last long, (maybe 2 years or so) and it will start to fade. Spend a little more and just get some from a real tint shop. Most will sell you some.

And like others have said "CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN"!!!

BTW, I've been tinting for over 20 years, lol (feel free to ask any questions)

Good luck!

12. 87hilux

87hilux Newbie

Truck:
    87 2wd hilux
    not trying to hijack this thread but im going to try the the baby shampoo and distilled water:waytogo:. i bought tint applicater spray and it turned them purple in 5 or so months:mad:

13. craigdbl

craigdbl Guest

this is what I used. It's from Pepboyz You can't see the flaws on my job but,there are some small bubbles and acouple of hairs in there. I'll notice them b4 anyone else. For me it's decent and I saved200 bucks.This tint is 4 months old. Take the windows out,use baby shampoo mixed with distilled water,leave tint an 1/8in away from the edge of the glass,don't roll your windows up or down for acouple of days,use alot of new razor blades,TAKE YOUR TIME[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    How has everyone's tint lasted so far?

15. Da_Roach

Da_Roach Toyotaholic

Truck:
    (1) 92 RN80 (1) 2002 RZN150
    Best DIY i have found in from Snaptint.com I have done 2 of my trucks and several friends. Best tip I have is a spray bottle with a splash of dawn soap and water. Keep the window and tint wet and you will have good results.

16. scrub88

scrub88 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    88 toy short bed
    My autozone brand tint has been on my truck for about five years ..think it was gillia brand 20percent the only time I get a hint of purple is when the trucks under a lot of fluorescent lights ...I only attempted to do it myself cause the glass is so flat on these trucks it maid it easy ...considering my other failed attempts at doing curved glass