throwing money at a turn signal

Discussion in 'Interior/Electronics' started by toygeek, May 27, 2022.

1. toygeek

toygeek Newbie

Have 93 pickup 4x4 22RE w/RV Cam, Headers, Cold Air Intake..25k later left turn signal keeps blinking w/o returning handle switch. This happens only with less than a 90 degree turn or a slanted turn. I have replaced the combo switch thinking cancellation spring. Got better but still no go. Did a wheel alignment & tight inspection also no go. Are there notches around column ? What other physical part would affect signal shutoff? The morons that owned this put an a funky aftermarket steering wheel...could that be an issue? I removed wheel and found horn ground wire flopping around, but obviously did not help my signal issue. I did not remove 4 bolts around column shaft & inspect as I am a chicken. Has a new steering box. Could it be the control arm assembly? Last thing...I can get the signal to stop blinking with a quick 2" (or so) hard turn to the left & quickly return to center of steering wheel right after the left turn or sometimes with a small turn to right will shut it off. Crazy, Is there an adjustment for raised spots on column or in ring of steering wheel assembly? Seems to be centered to the left whatever it is.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  2. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Factory steering wheel i think has a couple of pins to cancel the turn signal

toygeek likes this.
  3. toygeek

toygeek Newbie

thanks I will check out your advice. I suspected the steering wheel. I shall see. thanks again,
    mark

4. Erwin Merida

Erwin Merida Toyotaholic

Truck:
    LEXXXI - angry '93 ShortBed
    It's the wheel. Like @jetas mentioned, o ly the OEM wheels come with auto cancellation.

toygeek likes this.
  5. toygeek

toygeek Newbie

I appreciate you guys helping me out. Will install correct wheel thanks!

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    Ive learned to just deal with the lack of cancelling pins. Im sure theres a way to add em in but havent bothered with it

Erwin Merida and toygeek like this.
  7. MrDinkleman

MrDinkleman Addict

Truck:
    1988 standard cab, long bed
    It actually sounds like the turn signal cancellation mechanism is working correctly. Even with a stock steering wheel, the wheel has to be turned a minimum amount before the self-cancel works. You can tell because after you lock the turn signal and start to make the turn, as you start to turn the wheel, you'll hear a click, usually around 45-60 degrees. This is the self-cancel ratcheting. Turn it back and the signal will cancel. If you have the correct aftermarket hub for the car, the turn signal cancel will work exactly like stock.

However, it could also be that the hub is mounted one or two splines off so that turning the steering one way cancels sooner than when turned the other way.

A lot of people, when installing an aftermarket wheel, will install the hub one or two splines off in order to center the steering wheel. The correct way to install the hub is to be sure the road wheels are pointed straight ahead, the steering box or rack is exactly centered, and the steering shaft is centered. Then the hub will be centered and the turn signal mechanism will be centered. But, it's easier to just move the hub off by a spline or two.

toygeek likes this.
  8. toygeek

toygeek Newbie

That is great advice and I will align the hub. Hopefully the hub is the correct one. I think your correct as this would explain the off centered cancellation. Yippee I will give it a shot. Thank you so much MrDinkleman!

9. sirdeuce

sirdeuce Veteran

Truck:
    '86 4Runner and '89 2WD
    Stop throwing money at it. Get the tools out and do the work. Money is worthless and can't do anything, just kinda lays there.

10. Justin Danger

Justin Danger Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1986 Toyota Xtra cab SR5 Turbo 22rte
    On my 86 there is a plastic piece behind the steering wheel that cancels the turn signal. It has two pins that engage the steering wheel, and two wedge shaped cutouts on the sides that bump the turn signal switch in one direction.
    I am running an aftermarket steering wheel, and accidentally drilled the index holes for those pins 90 degrees from stock, so my signals turn off immediately with any wheel turn.
    If your year truck is anything like this, it is possible that the indexing pins have broken off of your little plastic doodad.

11. toygeek

toygeek Newbie

thanks will check it out.