Thinking of going with hydros...Couple q's.

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Raffaelli, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Hey everyone. To make a long story short. Ive found a new love in the look of the truck eating pavement.

I was running some errands with the torsions loose, (I knew I shoulda re-indexed em), knocked one out and the truck went to the bumpstops. Crossmember and LCAs were no more than a half inch off the ground :jawdrop::jawdrop:

Besides tearing up the street, I made it back and kinda thinking of putting hydralic rams in place of the adj. nut assembly. I know something like this had to be done before and just asking if anyone has had experiance with/or knows about it.

I was thinking of two rams(each mounted to the frame, and mounted to a custom torsion key). A pump, valve, lines ect. to make it work. So in theory I could drive around with the rams pumped up. (and locked) and when I want to I can slack em all the way down till its in the weeds. :thinking:

Any problems with this idea? I cant drive around static an inch off the ground in houston and the adjustability would be sweet.

Or would front bags be the way to go? I dont know. So please let me know. :waytogo:

How it was this morning...
    [​IMG]

Hit a 2inch pavement ledge...
    [​IMG]

Slammed!!!
    [​IMG]

22R all motors brother for scale

(I was getting back from buying the truck new body parts since im finally gunna paint the bastard! Go figure.)

Rear needs dropped bad!

2. GrantH

GrantH Addict

I really think you need to read into hydros are configured. they mount on your lower control arms, not a torsion key (or torsion anything). look on layitlow.com and check around at the builds similar to your needs. every caprice, monte carlo, impala or whatever is EXACTLY the same as your toyota once the torsion bars are pulled and your a-arms are your suspension platform.

If you want hydros, DO NOT! let someone scare you from running it because of "messy leaks and broken seals". A well thought out set up is just as reliable if not more reliable than an air setup.

3. eurofreak2002

eurofreak2002 Toyotaholic

Truck:
    80 STD SR5 LB, bagged! The new whip!
    Yah if you want that kinda adjustability the idea is awesome however the pressure a ram can put out would tear torsions up if not setup perfectly as far as pushing in like the index key. I agree with grant, if you want adjustability then just juice or bag the front, if you do that then just do the entire thing. Dont be put off or afraid of you hauling capabilities as you can still haul things with either setup. Got a buddy with a F250 thats bagged and he pulls his 22 foot bayliner boat with it all summer. I know out little trucks cant pull a boat but Im trying to state you can still haul stuff around.

4. EFnetOper

EFnetOper Veteran

Truck:
    94 2wd Pickup
    I have heard about a truck that had hydraulics on the torsions. I have never seen it tho.

5. GrantH

GrantH Addict

its possible, and has been done on older 50's desotos and such...but our application is SO easy to do with a basic control arm mounted ram its ridiculous to even go that route. plus...you get to go lower.

6. jetas

jetas Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    72.5 Hilux
    With the engineering your going to have to do to set up the ram and fabricating the torsion keys, your better off just bagging the front. Pricewise, who knows. Researching everything and looking at your financial will tell you wat to do in the end

7. joeynational

joeynational Toyotaholic

Truck:
    91 2WD
    bags will ride much smoother and will be cleaner, no oil leaks or anything..yeah you dont want to mount anything to the torsions, it all goes to the control arm bag or hydro

8. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    Or you could stop driving the damn thing like a 4X4!!! :ROFL: