Suspension Lifting a '92 2WD

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Super Stock, Dec 25, 2022.

1. Super Stock

Super Stock Newbie

Hi everyone. I am looking to lift an '92 extracab 2WD pickup. Who can advise me? I'd like it the stock height and tire size of a 4Runner or 1st gen Prerunner Tacoma, nothing crazy, just enough clearance for desert roads. I am having trouble finding reasonably priced kits to do this. I have searched through this site and others. My research tells me I can dial up the torsion bars and install UCA spacers (3"?) for the front, and install a helper spring for the rear. The rear leafs on the truck are pretty tired though, and ought to be changed out. Would leafs from a 1st gen Tacoma fit? I'd consider a used set off a 4x4 Tacoma if so. For the shocks, is there a size guide? It appears that Bilstein B8 5100 (3-4" Front / 3-4" Rear) lift shocks should work. It would also need parts for a differential and anti-sway bar drop, shackles for the rear leafs and extended brake lines.Where's the best place to get all this? E-bay? RockAuto? I'm in the SF Bay area in California and would be happy to support a local shop if they have the right stuff.
    Certainly, there's a step-by-step guide somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  2. smokeybear

smokeybear Newbie

Would love to hear what you end up finding out. I just recently got a 92 2WD. Trying to figure out what parts would make for a fun build.

*not looking to rock crawl, or off road in 4WD territory. Just some lift to add some nice tires, and get onto some dirt roads.

3. Liquidhandwash

Liquidhandwash Enthusiast

Truck:
    1980 diesel
    You could mod the rear axle so the springs sit on top rather than underneath, the 4WDs are like that. Buy some spring perches and some U bolts. Just watch that drive shaft angle and length. You can crank up the torsion bars, which will give you a bit more height, but as you said it might need spaces as well.