Supra IRS in a pickup

Discussion in 'Suspension/Chassis' started by Sinister91, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Sinister91

Sinister91 Member

Truck:
    1992 Std. Cab shorty
    Anyone know some one who has dont this or has thought about it? A friend of mine has the entire rear section of I think an 85 supra, and he will sell it to me for a hundred bucks and he will throw in some supra wheels. Just wanted to know if Im carzy for thinkin about it or if anyone has done it before:shrug:

2. the_general626

the_general626 Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    90 Toyota Pickup 2wd standard cab
    oh its been done... idk anything about it, but its been done. talk to burnzya on here, he put an IRS into his 86. but IRS is sexy!!!

3. burnzya

burnzya Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    i say do it. i'm not sure if the 85 is the same as the mk3 (86.5+) supras, but i would recommend fabbing your truck frame to fit the supra assembly. then it would only take 8 bolts for the whole assembly to fit in. also i had to narrow mine 4 inches to fit in the bed, but if your not going for bagged then i think it would fit fine.

4. Gaslight

Gaslight Member

Couple things to keep in mind. The 85 Supra IRS came in both LSD and non-LSD. They are also all 4 X 114.3 and switching them to 5 lug is not cheap (about 600.00 when your done). They came with a real nice frame section but the 85 had shocks that attached to the body. I did one of these conversions back in the late 80's. If you want to use that rearend go to a junkyard and cut the back floor from a Supra and use that in grafting it in. It will give you the correct mounting points for the shocks and frame as well as the correct angle for the shocks.

The 86.5-92 Supras were 5 bolt rear suspension and cam in LSD and non-LSD as well. Get one from a turbo car for the LSD. They used a little bigger rear brake than the 85 and there are more aftermarket parts for these. They don't use a shocks and instead use a Mcpherson strut. I would recommend doing the same thing with a rear floor section from a junk car.

Jake

5. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    mines from an 89 turbo. lsd with from what i figure is around 3.73 gears.

6. Gaslight

Gaslight Member

The 89 on up turbo cars were 3.73.

Jake

7. Sinister91

Sinister91 Member

Truck:
    1992 Std. Cab shorty
    ok so here is what I know guys, the rearend Im talking about must be later than 85, because it is 5 lug and it has the macphearson struts, but Im pretty sure it is non-LSD. So would I have to redo the entire rear frame to stick this in there? and is the track width wider than a stock toyota axle? Itll probly be a while before I do it this truck will be my DD and I dont want it not running for a couple weeks, But I do wanna do the swap sometime just to have something different around here!

8. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    kay, i say do it.
    To mount the suspension... make a "cage" or w/e they call it....

9. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    they come with a decent cage. i would build the truck frame to accept the stock mounting points.

[​IMG]

10. Gaslight

Gaslight Member

The best way I know of to do it is to go to a junkyard and had most of the trunk floor of any 86.5-92 Supra (NA or turbo) cut out. Make sure to include the strut mounting cups in the floor section. You also want to grab the back driveshaft half. On Supras they are in two peices. You will need the flange to the diff to be welded onto your driveshaft. Then just trim away the uneeded floor parts making sure to maintain the dimensions side to side of the struts as well as the dimension from the centerline of the axle to the center of the strut. Those rearends are very robust. Should be very cool.

Jake

11. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    Great pic! that helped with the visuals, and I like that method!

12. Sinister91

Sinister91 Member

Truck:
    1992 Std. Cab shorty
    Yeah, it looks like it wont be to hard to modify the frame a bit to fit that in there, and yeah Id probly make it all bolt in just to make it easy! Id like to have the rear end to just for any future engine swap plans:evil:

13. odkiller

odkiller Member

elizabethton just go to the PL thats where you wil
    Truck:
    89 2wd standard cab yota 2.2r with the kicking 4speed i will never c 100mph LMAO!!!!
    I would love to c pics of bunyas rear end in the truck but ive been down this road and ended up scraping a frame for the simple fact its way mor complicated then just bolting up you got to remeber you camber,coil placment,getting it in there straight i really wanted to do it after i saw a mazda truck with a rx7 rear in it but all im saying is just beware or you will be looking for a new frame by the way are you going for lowered cool factor or just handling?

14. beckleyota

beckleyota Member

Truck:
    93 pickup xcab
    i belive there is a 93 in minitruckin with custom tube frame with an irs rearend

15. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    I saw a custom Toyota hilux (89-95) with a IRS... nvm.... it was also a Toyota Hilux with a MR2 engine :D

16. burnzya

Truck:
    bodied 73 hilux
    the supra i.r.s. from the mk3 is the most common irs put into Toyota minis, along side the rx-7 irs. it is very doable. most of the rx-7 rear ends I've seen done use the stock assembly to mount, while i want to say that all the supra rears were custom installed without the stock cradle. but the stock supra cradle has limited travel when it comes to laying a truck out on big rims. for a truck that is not going to be bagged i would use the stock cradle. careful measurements are required of course, but that's why you got to measure 10 times and cut once.

17. IronNam

Truck:
    94 XCab
    i'm gunna use the Supra Cradle... i'm going for road course abilities that surpasses the solid axle's setup

18. walkerman5000

walkerman5000 Member

Truck:
    89 2wd with a 22r
    I've seen this done with both Supra and RX7 parts, but all of them have been bagged. I don't think I've ever seen one completed without bags. The main reason people don't use the Supra cradle is width. The Supra IRS is wider than the original rearend and in order to sit the truck down, the whole thing has to be narrowed. The RX7 rearend, however, is about the same width as the original rearend and has the same bolt pattern.

19. knucklehead

knucklehead Enthusiast

Here is a sweet setup I found a pic of a few years ago.

[​IMG]

20. Creepy Cruiser

Creepy Cruiser Enthusiast

Truck:
    65 Cadi Hearse
    That is really sweet.