Supercharger Q's

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Raffaelli, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Im just toying with the idea...So dont take it too serious. :waytogo:

But what if, say on a Fuel Injected 2XR/E, you where able to get a vortech or paxton blower? The roots style kit leaves a lot to be desired and Im wondering a few things...

Like if a blower built for a 300 cube engine is stuck on a motor with half the displacement.
    Will it boost more?
    Sooner?
    Be a super big power drag? (because it does take a bunch of power to spin those suckers)
    Be running a BOV almost constantly?
    Underdrive the blower to get a decent effecency range.

I could get a pulley machined, no biggie. And mounting wouldnt be to hard. Could run a front mount with this setup, Another big plus. And a V-1 S trim could be had for 400-450 bucks. If the motor could take it, I guess it would be a matter of pulley size...

Im just toying with the idea. So any opinions. :shrug:(BTW, not for the truck)

2. B.Y.E.

B.Y.E. Toyotaholic

Truck:
    1982 2wd Hilux
    bleh...

3. ShoNuff

ShoNuff Toyotaholic

Truck:
    75 hilux, 80 4x4
    check out this thread for pics n vids of 2 different setups.
    http://www.celica-gts.com/forums/index.php?topic=20372.135

imho they both suck.

and one of em is mine :ROFL:

2Xr just isnt worth playing with unless its stupid, thats the only way i can justify the SC.

right now im falling asleep to visions of a big monstrous mad max style blower on a 1uz using a 6in wide belt. feasible for under $4k.

good running 2Xr setup with a SC... im already over $3k and its not perfect, and have been cheap as possible. I dont know if I wanna ask nook how deep he's in...

there is a "awesome" factor. but having been there and still spending on the T shirt...

i think the stock 1uz i put in the stout will destroy my wagon, while towing my wheeler.

4. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    you dont think... you know.

5. Nook

Nook Addict

I imagine with enough fabbing you could mount any type of blower, vortech, paxton, whipple, ect. the old roots style are old school, but still work fair.
    I,m not sure if a bigger blower is gonna make bigger boost, I would imagine its just gonna be able to supply more air to feed a bigger displacement, thats what the designations for the old roots style 6-71, 8-71, 10-71'a were all about, a 6-71 could supply enough air to feed 6 cylinders of 71 cubic inches each, and so on. but your just gonna have to turn all that mass as each one is just a bigger unit.
    Going bigger then underdriving it seems like a waste, and I don't think they actually run BOV's on superchargers, they do surge valves, but those are a different deal.
    Your right, pulleys can be machined, but can get rather spendy, as for a V-1 S trim, no idea what that is for sure.

Nuff, you said you didn't know if you wanted to ask how much I was into mine, your right, you don't wanna ask :D

6. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    a bigger SC WILL make more boost. the SC is going to move a fixed volume of air per rotation, if the engine cannot injest all the air being moved, you have a bottleneck resulting in pressure buildup IE boost. boost is the amount of air being pushed at the engine beyond what it is capable of flowing (yes, you can make more power with less boost if you have a better flowing head). therefore, yes you could bolt a huge SC to a little engine then gear it down. it might even work. most likely you'll end up with too much parasitic loss to the SC when you're off boost and the SC flow won't match the engine flow so you'll either end up with lots of boost up high and none down low or the other way round. I'd say play with it and experiment but that's awful expensive for the fun.

7. IronNam

IronNam Grand Toyotaholic

Truck:
    94 XCab
    i'd mess with the heads first anyway, make the best out of the SC right?

8. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Already done. :evil:

Thanks for the replies guys. Its a very complicated subject to understand with compressor maps, max and most effecent rpms, and other things. Ive figured so far that if a setup like this is to work, it needs to be one of the smaller blowers for say a 5.0.

Paxton or powerdyne it looks like. Which is OK because these are usually the less spendy ones :lol:

One thing bothers me though. Back at tech school, one of the shop cars was a (EK?) Civic (the one with the uber gay shifter in it) with a roots blower on it. I do specifically remember it made 230 whp in Denver. Seemed aweful weak... Im really wondering now why. Or was the shock and awe of a blower greater than the affects?

Or is that good? I think it ran 15's at Bandemere Raceway...

9. KYNgsx

KYNgsx Enthusiast

Truck:
    89 2wd
    You're right; 15's = weak. I still think your supercharger idea is good though.

10. kamesama980

kamesama980 Addict

Truck:
    91 Base
    well it's on a civic. small engine and all that. unless it was something special say 150ish hp, blower to do half again that is 225. bigger motor (IE SBC) starting at 350 hp x1.5=500 hp. not to mention if they didn't have the gearing set right (or outright wrong size blower) and whenever you boost something you NEED to make electronics changes which that alone can be 50-100 hp difference between a crappy setup and an awesome one.

a buddy of mine was making 300+hp comfortably on a 5M with a mildly tweaked CT26 (240hp stock on the MKIII supra) mild portwork and only 6psi because he was running megasquirt full-standalone style instead of trying to fool the stock 7mgte computer and doing 10psi like the supra guys do to barely make 300

11. Raffaelli

Raffaelli Toyotaholic

Truck:
    82 Longbed 2WD
    Kinda on that topic...

I remember reading something about 5m compared to the 7m under boost.

The article/post said that the 5m's 2 valves per chamber faired better under boost than a comparable 7m's 4 valves per chamber.

But the 7m was better all naturally asperated. :shrug:

I dont know what that would be from, maybe less valvesprings to compress. Who knows... I would think the better flowing one ='s win.